Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I'm helping a friend put together their outland application, and was asked a question i don't know the answer to and can't find on CIC site.

In case an interview is required, is the interview in a CIC office of the applicant's home country, or is it in the country where the application is processed? In her particular case she is a Korean citizen, but the application is processed in Manila.

I can't see how CIC would demand an applicant do international travel to attend an interview.
However if it's in the home country, does that mean the VO working on the file and requesting the interview, would not be part of the interview at all?

This question would be applicable to any case where processing office is different from applicant's home country.

Thanks!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I was wondering this myself. In some cases I know the visa officer goes to the other country: for example, files processed in London from some of the Scandinavian countries do have their interviews in their own country. Visa officers from Singapore also go to the applicant's country for interviews. But in West Africa, applicants from Nigeria, Togo, Benin, etc. have to travel to Ghana for the interview.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
canadianwoman said:
In some cases I know the visa officer goes to the other country: for example, files processed in London from some of the Scandinavian countries do have their interviews in their own country. Visa officers from Singapore also go to the applicant's country for interviews. But in West Africa, applicants from Nigeria, Togo, Benin, etc. have to travel to Ghana for the interview.
Interesting. So i guess for applications processed in Manila, the VO in Manila would need to fly to Korea or Japan or wherever the applicant is from, to personally conduct the interview.

Doesn't seem very efficient. I wonder how many VO's simply want to visit another country all-expenses paid by the government, so suddenly deem an interview is required from an application they are processing ;)

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
For the last 9 months I have been on the forum, and following London VO quite closely, I haven't seen anybody from Scandinavia asked for an interview, so can't give you an idea on that one...
Good luck to your friend!
Sweden

BCgirl2012

May 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2012
AOR Received.
03-07-2012
File Transfer...
04-07-2012
Med's Done....
16-12-2011
Passport Req..
18-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2013
Rob_TO said:
Interesting. So i guess for applications processed in Manila, the VO in Manila would need to fly to Korea or Japan or wherever the applicant is from, to personally conduct the interview.

Doesn't seem very efficient. I wonder how many VO's simply want to visit another country all-expenses paid by the government, so suddenly deem an interview is required from an application they are processing ;)
I agree, not efficient, but cost-wise it's much more efficient this way than to invite many applicants to go on international trips for an interview. Especially in areas that applications are scrutinized more.
I've seen on the forum that in some regions this is one of the reasons why the processing times increase so dramatically- because the VO only travels to conduct local interviews a finite times per year. Therefore, people who will need to be interviewed have to wait much longer- even half a year or so.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
BCgirl2012 said:
I agree, not efficient, but cost-wise it's much more efficient this way than to invite many applicants to go on international trips for an interview. Especially in areas that applications are scrutinized more.
I've seen on the forum that in some regions this is one of the reasons why the processing times increase so dramatically- because the VO only travels to conduct local interviews a finite times per year. Therefore, people who will need to be interviewed have to wait much longer- even half a year or so.
Lol well if the applicant ever has to travel a bit to an interview, you know the government wouldn't be paying a dime and it's all on the applicant's expense!

Makes sense too about VOs travelling only when they have several interviews to do at once, and lumping all the interviews into a few designated times during the year. Kind of like how after stage 1 approval, CPC-M often doesn't mail the applicants package to the overseas office until they reach a certain number to send at once. Good for CIC expenses... but bad for people waiting for processing and adding to the wait times.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Assuming that the VO has your passport, how can you travel? I can't see any way that they could demand people to travel outside of their country for an interview.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
LindtChocolate said:
Hoping that we'd go to Manila!
Well your case is very unique, in that your husband could be forced into the army if he ever steps foot in his home country again! Hopefully you won't require an interview though, so you won't even need to ask them if Manila is allowable location to interview (though it would be a fun vacation to Philippines!)

Steph C said:
Assuming that the VO has your passport, how can you travel? I can't see any way that they could demand people to travel outside of their country for an interview.
In my friend's case, they are from visa-exempt country so CIC never asks for passport at all as no visa is needed. Also in Europe, i don't think a passport is required for travelling by train/car to neighboring countries.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Steph C said:
Not all visa offices ask for the passport early. In my husband's case, he was told to bring his passport with him to the interview. He had to travel from Nigeria to Ghana, but in any case a Nigerian citizen does not need a passport to get into one of the other West African states, so he could have gone without it.