+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on Days of Absence

vivekreng

Feb 21, 2021
Hi

I became a PR on July 2019. I landed in Aug 2019, applied for the PR card and flew back to the US due to work commitments. But since then I am not able to come back to Canada due to work and the Covid situation. But I am planning to move permanently this summer. My PR card is valid Aug 2024.
Will it cause any problem since I did not live in Canada for almost 2 years?

Thank you and will really appreciate your help on this.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi

I became a PR on July 2019. I landed in Aug 2019, applied for the PR card and flew back to the US due to work commitments. But since then I am not able to come back to Canada due to work and the Covid situation. But I am planning to move permanently this summer. My PR card is valid Aug 2024.
Will it cause any problem since I did not live in Canada for almost 2 years?

Thank you and will really appreciate your help on this.
There will be no immediate issue or problem if you arrive this summer. The issue arises if you are absent from Canada more than 1095 days (five years of 365 days minus 730 days required presence). This is a rolling five year obligation - starting the day you landed. Since if you arrive this summer you will only have been out of Canada appr 730 days, you'll be fine.

When I say 'immediate issue' - only to keep in mind that if your plans change or you travel a lot or etc., you may find yourself worrying about being in compliance in future.

[Note your language is confusing: you 'became' a PR the day you landed. The day you were issued the COPR is irrelevant. The expiry date of your PR card is irrelevant.]

vivekreng

Feb 21, 2021
Sorry about the confusing language. you are correct, I meant the day I got issued COPR (in July 2019).

And thanks very much for the explanation. Yes after I arrive this summer I don't have any plans to be away from Canada for more than a year in the next 3 years. I think I should be fine.

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes after I arrive this summer I don't have any plans to be away from Canada for more than a year in the next 3 years. I think I should be fine.
Yes, you should be fine and good luck.

I only mention it because the forums here are full of questions and stories from/about situations that PRs ended up in when work/schooling/family/travel/health (let's just call it "life") had different ideas - particularly after long delays between becoming a PR and actually moving to settle in Canada.

And then what seemed like a (quite) generous requirement for a PR of two-in-five years starts to impose constraints or risks. For those that settle in Canada and mostly remain except for 'normal' vacation and work travel, it usually is not much of a problem.