+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on COPR. Help please?

einstein_pr

Star Member
Aug 29, 2014
I am a July 3'rd 2014 applicant under CEC category (currently in Canada). I received my COPR (self and spouse) couple of weeks ago and I am planning to land in a week's time. I have a quick question and I would appreciate your comments.

My COPR indicates my spouse as dependent and my spouse's COPR indicates my name, which I believe is fine. That being said, there is NO reference of my son under dependent's section in both COPR's. Is this an issue? Should I get it corrected? Please note that my Son was born in Canada and hence a Canadian citizen (2 yrs old). That being said, he is still my dependent and would expect to see his name on the COPR. Any comments? (I did mention his details in my PR application at the time of applying)

Also the Original landing date on COPR is incorrect. I presume it should reflect the date when we entered Canada the first time when we got our work permits? Is this an issue that needs to be fixed? I've read some mixed feedback on this, hence anyone who has had a similar experience..please comment.

Thanks a ton !

einstein_pr

Star Member
Aug 29, 2014
einstein_pr said:
I am a July 3'rd 2014 applicant under CEC category (currently in Canada). I received my COPR (self and spouse) couple of weeks ago and I am planning to land in a week's time. I have a quick question and I would appreciate your comments.

My COPR indicates my spouse as dependent and my spouse's COPR indicates my name, which I believe is fine. That being said, there is NO reference of my son under dependent's section in both COPR's. Is this an issue? Should I get it corrected? Please note that my Son was born in Canada and hence a Canadian citizen (2 yrs old). That being said, he is still my dependent and would expect to see his name on the COPR. Any comments? (I did mention his details in my PR application at the time of applying)

Also the Original landing date on COPR is incorrect. I presume it should reflect the date when we entered Canada the first time when we got our work permits? Is this an issue that needs to be fixed? I've read some mixed feedback on this, hence anyone who has had a similar experience..please comment.

Thanks a ton !

Could anyone share your experience..please?

itz_nsn

Star Member
Aug 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
Med's Request
21-11-2014
Med's Done....
12-12-2014
Passport Req..
16-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-05-2015
I am not in your situation but i think this statement will make sense
Canadian citizens do not need a COPR to come back to Canada, so as long as you have proof that your son is a Canadian citizen and he is your son, you should be fine - but if you still have a doubt then give CIC a call

Original landing date is the date you landed as a permanent resident in Canada, not any other previous date

cecorbust

Aug 19, 2014
itz_nsn said:
I am not in your situation but i think this statement will make sense
Canadian citizens do not need a COPR to come back to Canada, so as long as you have proof that your son is a Canadian citizen and he is your son, you should be fine - but if you still have a doubt then give CIC a call

Original landing date is the date you landed as a permanent resident in Canada, not any other previous date
The first half of this is correct, however the initial entry date on your COPR should be the date you initially came to Canada. For me, the date was incorrect, however the agent changed it during the landing process (she crossed out the old date and wrote in the date that I first entered Canada on a work permit). My COPR now accurately reflects the date that was on my first Work Permit which was the date of first entry into Canada. It makes no sense that the COPR would have the date you landed as a PR as it is printed on the document you receive in the mail before you land...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
einstein_pr said:
My COPR indicates my spouse as dependent and my spouse's COPR indicates my name, which I believe is fine. That being said, there is NO reference of my son under dependent's section in both COPR's. Is this an issue? Should I get it corrected? Please note that my Son was born in Canada and hence a Canadian citizen (2 yrs old). That being said, he is still my dependent and would expect to see his name on the COPR.
Canadian citizens cannot become PRs : ) The COPR is only for PR applicants. There is no need to have your son's name on the COPR.

itz_nsn

Star Member
Aug 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
Med's Request
21-11-2014
Med's Done....
12-12-2014
Passport Req..
16-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-05-2015
cecorbust said:
The first half of this is correct, however the initial entry date on your COPR should be the date you initially came to Canada. For me, the date was incorrect, however the agent changed it during the landing process (she crossed out the old date and wrote in the date that I first entered Canada on a work permit). My COPR now accurately reflects the date that was on my first Work Permit which was the date of first entry into Canada. It makes no sense that the COPR would have the date you landed as a PR as it is printed on the document you receive in the mail before you land...
I checked my COPR again and i have my date as the day i landed in Canada
I was also on a work permit for 1 year and applied from inside Canada - got 2 copies of COPR one with a photo attached
I took an appointment at one of the CIC offices to do the landing ( did not go to the border )
The agent there wrote the day i landed as the landing date

So now i dont know which is correct - do you think the date has any kind of impact for the future ? like citizenship process ?