+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on conditional PR

trekkie

Aug 13, 2013
Hi! I am an American trying to put things together for a permanent resident application. I am so lost and confused on what route to take though. Most concerns I'm sure I can figure out with this (awesome) forum and research. However, one concern looms a bit more than the others. My husband, Ricky and I were recently married this past April and this puts us in what seems like a danger zone. I read that we would be on conditional terms for two years putting myself as a temporary resident. I arrived in March before the wedding (we eloped in Victoria) and I have just sent off my extension for my visitor status to work on the application. So here is my snag, should be applying inland or outland? To my knowledge I can do either, but we are leaning toward the outland as I could visit my family incase of emergency and it seems to process faster. However, being newly weds, does this force me to do the inland? If so is it just the regular PR application?
This site has helped answer so many questions that my overactive imagination would otherwise fill with worst case what-if-the-world-implodes scenarios. Thank you in advance for any help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Conditional PR has no impact on whether you select inland or outland. You can go either way. If you want to be able to travel outside of Canada before the process finishes - pick outland.

What conditional PR states is that because the two of you haven't been together for very long, if you break up within two years of getting PR status, your PR status will be lost. Conditional PR aims to prevent fradulent marriages.

Conditional PR will apply to you regardless of whether you go inland or outland.

I would recommend that you join the Family Sponsorship section of this forum if you have any further questions.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
trekkie said:
Hi! I am an American trying to put things together for a permanent resident application. I am so lost and confused on what route to take though. Most concerns I'm sure I can figure out with this (awesome) forum and research. However, one concern looms a bit more than the others. My husband, Ricky and I were recently married this past April and this puts us in what seems like a danger zone. I read that we would be on conditional terms for two years putting myself as a temporary resident. I arrived in March before the wedding (we eloped in Victoria) and I have just sent off my extension for my visitor status to work on the application. So here is my snag, should be applying inland or outland? To my knowledge I can do either, but we are leaning toward the outland as I could visit my family incase of emergency and it seems to process faster. However, being newly weds, does this force me to do the inland? If so is it just the regular PR application?
This site has helped answer so many questions that my overactive imagination would otherwise fill with worst case what-if-the-world-implodes scenarios. Thank you in advance for any help.
I'm a brand new "conditional" PR from the USA - American citizen. Don't worry, it only matters if you decide to break up before 2 years is up. We're going to be on the positive side and say you and Ricky will be happy for a long time. Don't stress about the conditional PR thing. It won't effect how you apply or what you're allowed to do (I. e., work).

amirsrima

Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2013
Doc's Request.
submitted with the application
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
File Transfer...
15-08-2014
Med's Request
18-08-2014 (plus RPRF & Update Information Chart, PPR1)
Med's Done....
7-11-2014
Interview........
DM: 11-11-2014
Passport Req..
PPR2 15-11-2014 SUBMITTED: 20-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2015
LANDED..........
June 2015
Hi Scylla,
One of my office colleage had almost simlar case, few years ago. He was recently married and unfortunately got separation (genuine). He came back and got married again but still struggling legal fights for at leasy 4 years - can't enter canada as had left.

scylla said:
Conditional PR has no impact on whether you select inland or outland. You can go either way. If you want to be able to travel outside of Canada before the process finishes - pick outland.

What conditional PR states is that because the two of you haven't been together for very long, if you break up within two years of getting PR status, your PR status will be lost. Conditional PR aims to prevent fradulent marriages.

Conditional PR will apply to you regardless of whether you go inland or outland.

I would recommend that you join the Family Sponsorship section of this forum if you have any further questions.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
amirsrima said:
Hi Scylla,
One of my office colleage had almost simlar case, few years ago. He was recently married and unfortunately got separation (genuine). He came back and got married again but still struggling legal fights for at leasy 4 years - can't enter canada as had left.
Why can't he come back to Canada? Did he failed to meet residency requirements? I. E., was he outside Canada for more than 3 years?

If his case is as long ago as you've suggested, there was no Conditional PR back then. That cannot be effecting him.

The only thing that could effect him is if CIC has decided his marriage to get PR was a scam, he's committed a serious criminal offense, or he's failed to meet residency requirements.