+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QUESTION - Inland Spouse Sponsorship in Quebec - Steps

hunter21

Dec 31, 2016
Happy New Year! I hope 2017 is a wonderful year to all of you.

My wife is Canadian and I'm an Australian citizen and we're moving to Quebec. We also have a 1-year-old baby.

1. Are the following steps correct?
STEP 1. Send sponsorship application to federal government - CIC / Mississauga.
That should include: sponsorship, permanent residence and open work permit applications.
STEP 2. Receive Sponsorship Approval by email (print out PDF).
STEP 3. Download Kit A from MIDI's website (Quebec) which includes CSQ (Certificat de Sélection du Québec) forms. Include a copy of Sponsorship Approval.

2. I'm applying for a work permit right from the start, do I need "Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)"? It's very confusing because that's what's stated on a CIC page (find it by googling: I am sponsoring my spouse or partner who is in Canada) but all other sources explain that it's for student/temporary worker sponsors. None of that applies to me or my wife.

3. Do you think it makes sense to add the baby to the sponsorship application OR basically pass citizenship from her mother to her through the straightforward application?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hunter21 said:
1. Are the following steps correct?
STEP 1. Send sponsorship application to federal government - CIC / Mississauga.
That should include: sponsorship, permanent residence and open work permit applications.
STEP 2. Receive Sponsorship Approval by email (print out PDF).
STEP 3. Download Kit A from MIDI's website (Quebec) which includes CSQ (Certificat de Sélection du Québec) forms. Include a copy of Sponsorship Approval.

2. I'm applying for a work permit right from the start, do I need "Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)"? It's very confusing because that's what's stated on a CIC page (find it by googling: I am sponsoring my spouse or partner who is in Canada) but all other sources explain that it's for student/temporary worker sponsors. None of that applies to me or my wife.

3. Do you think it makes sense to add the baby to the sponsorship application OR basically pass citizenship from her mother to her through the straightforward application?
Hi

1. Correct. You don't say when you are moving and when you will apply. You must actually be in Canada to apply inland with the OWP. If you are applying from outside of Canada, no OWP option.

2. You don't require a CAQ.

3. I'm assuming your partner was born in Canada or is a naturalized Canadian, which means that the baby is already a Canadian citizen and can't be included in your app. You need to apply ASAP for a Certificate of Citizenship. As the child is under the age of 2, you can apply concurrently for a limited validity passport. Your child MUST have a Canadian passport to travel to Canada. She cannot travel on her Australian passport because Canadian citizens do not qualify for an eTA. You will also most likely require proof of her Canadian citizenship to access things like healthcare once in Canada.

hunter21

Dec 31, 2016
canuck_in_uk, you've been very helpful. I have a another couple of questions.

When I apply for the Limited Validity Passport for the 1-yr old baby, do I need to give urgent reasons or not? Would moving to Canada be a good enough 'urgent' reason? Would that get me in trouble saying we're moving to Canada while I am applying for eTA which is technically an authorisation to visit?

Another question, where can I find that Limited Validity Passport application or that's something Sydney Consulate will send me?

Thank you very much.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hunter21 said:
When I apply for the Limited Validity Passport for the 1-yr old baby, do I need to give urgent reasons or not? Would moving to Canada be a good enough 'urgent' reason? Would that get me in trouble saying we're moving to Canada while I am applying for eTA which is technically an authorisation to visit?

Another question, where can I find that Limited Validity Passport application or that's something Sydney Consulate will send me?
Moving to Canada is a sufficient reason. Your eTA app has nothing to do with the child's certificate app.

There is no special application. Include a letter of explanation and proof of the certificate app with the regular child passport application.

hunter21

Dec 31, 2016
canuck_in_uk, you've been super helpful I posted a question (new topic) regarding police certificates titled 'Question regarding Police Certificate', I hope you could provide any guidance.

canadasnk

Mar 11, 2017
Hey Hunter21,

I was just wondering if there are any updates on your inland spouse sponsorship in qc! I am in your exact situation and got completely confused by the CAQ. Did you end up finding any more information on this, or did you just apply for the open work permit? Any "quebec" tips would be great!

thanks!

hunter21

Dec 31, 2016
I eventually decided to go with the Outland application which, according to multiple sources, will be faster than the Inland application. My rationale was 1) I'm currently working so no need to rush my departure. 2) My settling there will be less stressful if I arrive with all paperwork sorted. 3) There's a period of 3 or 4 months just waiting for a work permit which I didn't feel okay with.

Everyone's situation is different. I wish you the very best and please post here on what you've decided to go with.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canadasnk said:
I was just wondering if there are any updates on your inland spouse sponsorship in qc! I am in your exact situation and got completely confused by the CAQ. Did you end up finding any more information on this, or did you just apply for the open work permit? Any "quebec" tips would be great!
A CAQ is not required.