+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question for length of stay for TRV

thanhlong1984

Dec 14, 2014
I have questions that I'd like to know the answer.

ituation:
My wife applied for a TRV and she requested 3 week stay in Canada. Now, her TRV is approved and we started to make plan for her visit. However, we are looking for her to spend 2 months in Canada, instead of 3 weeks as stated in her TRV application.

If we buy a round trip air ticket that spans for 2 months, we risk having to throw the ticket away if the immigration officer (IO) does not approve her to stay for 2 months. If we buy a one way ticket, we are afraid that the IO will think of this as her intending to stay indefinitely in Canada, which is even worse. Staying for 3 weeks is not what we want either :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ . Essentially, we are stuck as we don't know what to do.

I certainly appreciate if anyone can advise me on this. If you have done the same thing, i.e. stay longer than requested in the TRV application, please share your experience too.

My questions:
  • Do you think this is a problem, i.e. staying for more than we requested? We are afraid that if the IO finds out, he/she may interpret this as we are lying on the application just to get a TRV.
  • What would you do if you were in my situation?
  • Any additional advice?

Thanks.

brittanyquesada

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2015
AOR Received.
01-15-2016
Med's Done....
06-23-2016
VISA ISSUED...
05-04-2017
LANDED..........
02-20-2017
When my husband applied we said 3 months on the application, however we bought the tickets before we applied (I know, big risk). but once he got here we knew he had 6 months cause they didn't state otherwise, so a little closer to the date he originally was leaving, we switched his departure date so he would have 6 months rather than 2 a half months.

If you decide to book the ticket for 2 months, i can see what your point is and how you're thinking, but once they arrive in canada and have a return ticket for 2 months, the worst they could do is just give her that exact time.. other wise Temporary residents get 6 months.

Really, you could just say after applying, you decided to visit more places and do more things so you thought you would make the most out of your stay, so you decided 2 months would be better..

When they arrive they might not even be asked.. my husband was only asked where he was going, and who he visiting and asked how we met.. the customs officer was really nice and didnt even ask about how long he'd be staying.

Also, my husband had to reapply since his visit for a new TRV as his was going to expire in the next couple of months, so they knew he stayed longer than 6 months because i showed his travel itineraries (which had the changes stated on it) and boarding passes from his last trip to Canada for his travel history. .. and he was approved.. so.. I guess it was no problem we changed his 2 1/2 month to 6 month trip.

thanhlong1984

Dec 14, 2014
brittanyquesada said:
When my husband applied we said 3 months on the application, however we bought the tickets before we applied (I know, big risk). but once he got here we knew he had 6 months cause they didn't state otherwise, so a little closer to the date he originally was leaving, we switched his departure date so he would have 6 months rather than 2 a half months.
Your husband attached a copy of his ticket in his TRV application showing that he would stay in canada for 6 months, even though he requested for only 3 months. Is my assumption correct? If that is the case, that helps to remove a burden in my mind, thanks very much for that.

We did finally decide to pursue a 3 month stay as in worst case scenario, she is only allowed for 3 month stay (after reading your story). It worth taking risk (or may be no risk at all in this case). So all I have to do now is to find a ticket for her to flight here this summer, which is a task in itself as the air ticket price is damn expensive, but that is another story :p :p :p

Thank you brittanyquesada

brittanyquesada

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2015
AOR Received.
01-15-2016
Med's Done....
06-23-2016
VISA ISSUED...
05-04-2017
LANDED..........
02-20-2017
thanhlong1984 said:
Your husband attached a copy of his ticket in his TRV application showing that he would stay in canada for 6 months, even though he requested for only 3 months. Is my assumption correct? If that is the case, that helps to remove a burden in my mind, thanks very much for that.
When we applied we said 3 month stay, it was october 17-january 11th, and we bought a roundtrip ticket for him for those days (we attached that in the application) and when he got here he automatically got 6 months as most temporary residents get (or less if it's stated otherwise.. i think it's rare though? idk) so later on like in December before christmas, before he was leaving on january 11, we just payed the change fee with the airline, it was 75$ (Air Canada) and i think whatever the difference of the ticket was.. and i changed his departure for april 14th.

and he had no problem leaving canada, was never asked any questions, as well as when he returned to his country.