+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question for dpenabill

wxyz123

Sep 21, 2010
As far as I am aware, the most recent Auditor General Report following an audit of the grant citizenship program is found here:

http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/English/parl_oag_201602_02_e_41246.html#hd2a

This report was more or less focused on detecting and preventing fraud in the citizenship program, and indeed is titled:
"Report 2—Detecting and Preventing Fraud in the Citizenship Program"

It dates from the spring of 2016, so is nearly two years old now. It appears, however, that the recent dramatic surge in issuing CIT 0205 PPQ-QAE and related requests to citizenship applicants is probably at least related to recommendations made in that report if not a direct response.
Otherwise, over the years one sees various references and reports to auditing procedures and Quality Control or Quality Assurance measures aimed at reviewing the grant citizenship application procedures and process.

In terms of reviewing individual cases, specific grants of citizenship, on the verification of qualifications side of the equation, the routine processing of a grant citizenship application goes through multiple specific steps which are prescribed in the File Requirements Checklist (or a comparable replacement if the FRC has been replaced recently) involving multiple individual processing agents along the path, culminating (in most cases) in a decision by a Citizenship Officer approving and granting citizenship. To what extent, if any, there is any cross-checking done by additional or reviewing processing agents to verify grants of citizenship have not been erroneously approved, I am not sure. My impression is that the current system, which among other things requires a GCMS clearance check for every action on the application, probably gets it right a very high percentage of the time . . . except, perhaps, fraud related error, which was the primary subject of the 2016 audit and probably the primary focus of the current PPQ-QAE so many are now getting.

On the potential error of denying citizenship side of the equation, while denied applicants do not have a right to appeal, the wrongfully rejected applicant can request a hearing with a Citizenship Officer, all presence cases are also reviewed and decided by a Citizenship Judge, and in either case the rejected applicant can seek leave for judicial review from the Federal Court.

And of course there is the current surge in issuing PPQ-QAE CIT 0205 which is purportedly an effort to conduct a Quality Assurance Exercise to determine if the current citizenship application process is adequate, to identify qualified applicants and grant them citizenship, and to identify ineligible applicants, and to otherwise enforce immigration and citizenship laws.
Thank you dpenabill. I was reading some where that granting citizenship does not cost govt much but revoking costs a lot. Is that true ? How much it costs and does it prevent govt not to revoke citizenship because of costs ?

Thanks

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Is the intention here for a recently charged PR who is eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship, to apply and quickly get citizenship in hopes that it won't be revoked ?

Wouldn't this person need to declare the charges on their citizenship application ? If this person already applied and got charged after submitting their application, they still have a responsibility to inform IRCC of the change in their situation ... further assuming the offence is indictable. Otherwise, it will be considered misrepresentation, which I'm sure you already know about by now.

aikasummer

Nov 9, 2018
hi depanbill i am new to forum i am following your posts i have question for you .i applied for citizenship in august 2017 and then in october i got fingerprints which i did then in first week of november i got test request which i passed in decemeber my local office is edmonton .actually i was arrested in march 2017 on charged of harassment,intimidation crown proceed summarily that time later on charged are withdrawn in lieu of peace bond which will end on march 2018.then know i got letter from cic they need court documents for those charges what happens,how crown proceed,outcome of charges .i think those charges still showing on my record which already withdrawn thats why they need documents i already apply in the court for documents which can take 6-8 weeks to get.so what you think i should do or my application will be rejected .i already sent them peace bond copy but they need court documents too please help it will be appreciated
hello Cal1, I just read about your situation. I had a similar story only with assault charges, but the crown proceeded with peace bond, I signed it and the charges were withdrawn as I understand how that works. I need to travel to USA but my Tourist B2 visa expired and i need to apply for new one. The application asks if I have been arrested or charged or convicted, so I have to say yes, but since I wasnt convicted, there is no criminal record, would I be able to get a visa and travel? How did you situation play out? Were you able to get your citizenship and travel to USA? What kind of court documents they needed, like your charge prescreening forms? Please let me know , this is very important for me too! Hope everything went well for you...