+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question: Employment while waiting for citizenship

johnwang

May 26, 2019
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and need advice.

I became PR few years ago and up until February 2019 had no job. My parents abroad paid for my life in Canada. I haven't traveled abroad since I got my PR.

Should I report to CIC that my employment status have changed from unemployed to employed, and how to do so.
I am in Toronto and its been 1 year since I applied for citizenship and my application still shows "in process".
Still no invitation for interview.

JPBless

May 14, 2018

I became PR few years ago and up until February 2019 had no job. My parents abroad paid for my life in Canada. I haven't traveled abroad since I got my PR.

Should I report to CIC that my employment status have changed from unemployed to employed, and how to do so.
I am in Toronto and its been 1 year since I applied for citizenship and my application still shows "in process".
Employment (being employed or not) is not one of the requirements of citizenship. So there is no reason to update your employment status with IRCC. What IRCC cares about is the information you provided about the period that falls within your eligibility period - not what happens after you have submitted your application.

Personally I don't see why you should update anything but I could be wrong.

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
I also dont think that you should update anything with IRCC about your employment status after submitting the citizenship application. I, too, could be wrong on this.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012

Hi,
you don't need to update the CIC with your employment status.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
If you have not yet attended the test and interview, your current employment status will likely be questioned during the interview. Responding appropriately at that time, as to your current employment status, will be sufficient.

As others have observed, IRCC is largely focused on your address and employment (or other activity, like school) during the "eligibility period," since this information is relevant in assessing the weight of evidence corroborating (or not) the applicant's claims about physical presence.

Much of the information provided in the application is historical, like address and work history. Historical information does not change, since it is all past tense. Like the applicant's travel history reported in the presence calculation. Applicants do not update their travel history after applying just because they take a trip or so abroad after applying. So, similarly, even if there is a change in employment after applying, there is no change in the historical information provided, no change to report to IRCC . . . again, except to the extent the applicant is asked about it during the interview.

In contrast, information like the applicant's current residential address can change while an application is pending, and applicant's affirm (in the signature box on the application form) that they will timely notify IRCC of any such changes.