+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question: Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your

Tomsi

Oct 29, 2021
I am applying for citizenship and one of the questions is the following:
  • Question: Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

What should we list here?
  1. Visa Stamp Issue Date and Visa Stamp Expiry Date OR,
  2. The date I entered that country and left that country i.e. the dates when the status became active

E.g. My F1 student visa on my passport is stamped on 15 May 2013 and has an expiry date of 20 April 2018 but I entered the country on 20 August 2013 and left on 10 August 2018...

Same for work visa - visa stampings are from Jan 2019 till April 2020 but I entered on Feb 2019 and left March 2019...

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
Any update to the above question?
Should we specify only the multiple visa entry and exit stamps in passport or
specify the actual visa issue and expiry dates.

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
What matters is the visa tenure time. You can use the times on the visas as they will match the documents provided
Thank you.
I have heard conflicting statements where a few are asking to give the actual dates instead of the visa issued dates. This will be applicable when we have not even travelled but have a valid visa etc.
So wanted to confirm which was the best way to give.

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
Visas granted for tourism, pursuing education, or for temporary worker status (e.g. H1-B) are classified as non-immigrant visas. Having any of them for a country does not count as holding immigration status for that country. Immigration status is held for a country if you hold a green card, permanent residence, refugee or asylum status for a country. Here is a link from the international office of UC Berkeley explaining it for USA visas. Even Canada doesn't consider people on student/work/etc kind of visas as immigrants, see link. So IMO you don't need to provide these details. You'll be providing copies of all pages of your passport anyways.

From time to time, on a case by case basis IRCC might ask people to provide details of certain visas but its not a requirement for everybody. At least that's my belief. When I applied for my citizenship, I didn't provide any details related to the F1 and H1-B visas that I had held in the past. I got my citizenship without any issues.

In the interest of fairness, some people do believe in providing more information to IRCC and you'll find members adhering to that school of thought will advise you to provide details of all visas. Namely, all visa types that you ever held (used or unused) and their start and end dates. You don't need to provide all entry and exit dates to a country.

Ultimately they are all opinions on a black box process, you have to decide which direction you want to go. Hope this helps.

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
Visas granted for tourism, pursuing education, or for temporary worker status (e.g. H1-B) are classified as non-immigrant visas. Having any of them for a country does not count as holding immigration status for that country. Immigration status is held for a country if you hold a green card, permanent residence, refugee or asylum status for a country. Here is a link from the international office of UC Berkeley explaining it for USA visas. Even Canada doesn't consider people on student/work/etc kind of visas as immigrants, see link. So IMO you don't need to provide these details. You'll be providing copies of all pages of your passport anyways.

From time to time, on a case by case basis IRCC might ask people to provide details of certain visas but its not a requirement for everybody. At least that's my belief. When I applied for my citizenship, I didn't provide any details related to the F1 and H1-B visas that I had held in the past. I got my citizenship without any issues.

In the interest of fairness, some people do believe in providing more information to IRCC and you'll find members adhering to that school of thought will advise you to provide details of all visas. Namely, all visa types that you ever held (used or unused) and their start and end dates. You don't need to provide all entry and exit dates to a country.

Ultimately they are all opinions on a black box process, you have to decide which direction you want to go. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the detailed answer :)

Reactions: motocrosstar

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Question 13.
Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada (e.g. your country of birth)

rainydayincanada

Star Member
Apr 23, 2023
You need to disclose any immigration status including student, worker etc. Please be careful and carefully read the instructions and the previous message.