+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question before making decision

Gurinder8055

Jul 20, 2015
Hi everyone so me and my wife planning to move to other province we are currently living in ontario im on spouse work permit my wife is on pswp she recently got a job offer from A company in halifax nova scotia. As we are waiting for ontario pnp international student to open from so long we are running out of time we have 1.5 years left.The thing is i have a good job here good money have to leave everything which is hard for me. The question is can she go there alone till she get pr ? Or we both have to move there

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
She can move there alone and have you stay behind if that's what you two want to do. Of course, she may be ineligible for the Ontario international student stream when it reopens if she stops residing in Ontario, so if you need a provincial nomination to get PR she should look into her options in Nova Scotia or under the Atlantic Immigration Pilot.

Gurinder8055

Jul 20, 2015
She can move there alone and have you stay behind if that's what you two want to do. Of course, she may be ineligible for the Ontario international student stream when it reopens if she stops residing in Ontario, so if you need a provincial nomination to get PR she should look into her options in Nova Scotia or under the Atlantic Immigration Pilot.
Will this be a problem for her in future if i stay in ontario and work and she apply permanent residency in nova scotia through any stream

Gurinder8055

Jul 20, 2015
Hey sorry to bring this up again i have consult this with my lawyer too he said you have to move with her to nova scotia too if she applies for permanent residency in nova scotia they can reject the application with the doubt that she would leave the province and go back to ontario to me which is what our plan is im really confused i really dont wanna leave my job and move there if anything you could suggest thanks

Harrysingh04

Aug 20, 2020
Hey sorry to bring this up again i have consult this with my lawyer too he said you have to move with her to nova scotia too if she applies for permanent residency in nova scotia they can reject the application with the doubt that she would leave the province and go back to ontario to me which is what our plan is im really confused i really dont wanna leave my job and move there if anything you could suggest thanks
He is right. I live in Manitoba and if our province figures out that the applicant has more connections to another province than Manitoba, they refuse the application. If you are directly applying for PR through a Federal program like Canadian Experience Class (CEC) Express Entry, then it wont matter if you guys stay in separate provinces. But if you are applying through a Provincial or Region based program, you both have to be present in the same province or region.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
It's not required by the letter of the law (which is why I said no) but yes, some provinces are picky if they think the applicant has too many ties to another province.

Harrysingh04

Aug 20, 2020
It's not required by the letter of the law (which is why I said no) but yes, some provinces are picky if they think the applicant has too many ties to another province.
The purpose of region based programs is to cater the local labor market. If applicants spouse is residing in another province, its definite they'll relocate after getting Permanent residence. The province wants them to prove their intent to reside and work there and spouse residing somewhere else kills the whole idea.
PS: By law, no province (Except Quebec) can stop such applicants from relocating elsewhere after getting their PR.

Gurinder8055

Jul 20, 2015
Thanks guys we tried to put file in ontario pnp international student stream but didn't get the chance now in October its gonna be 2 year since she got pswp and she cant apply for pnp as we dont know if they will open again this month or in sep ( they stated that they will open soon) this leaves us only option to move nova scotia apply there for pnp

Reactions: Harrysingh04

blueivory

Star Member
Oct 1, 2016
I agree with u to move to nova scotia as am planning to do same. Esorcially since u say she has a job offer. I even got the oinp international student but my employer would not support me. Can we connect so I can chat with yrvw8fe and we could make arrangements. Am planning by endof month to go.

Reactions: Gurinder8055

Gurinder8055

Jul 20, 2015
I agree with u to move to nova scotia as am planning to do same. Esorcially since u say she has a job offer. I even got the oinp international student but my employer would not support me. Can we connect so I can chat with yrvw8fe and we could make arrangements. Am planning by endof month to go.
How would you like to be contacted?