+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about work in the gap between two programs

jeremy12138

Mar 25, 2021
Hi guys, I'm an international student who just finished a 3 years undergraduate program in Dec.2020. I've received a post graduate program offer from new school but the program will start in September, can I work between this gap? If I can, what's the requirement? thank you!!
ps: I have received my extended study permit with my new offer.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
the post graduate program is 1 year and half long. I don't want to waste my pgwp before I finish school
ok but your first degree will not count towards your PGWP because of time between programs. No you can’t work full time until September. You are “eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion.” Your courses aren’t within 150 days of each other.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html

Reactions: wonderbly

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Hi guys, I'm an international student who just finished a 3 years undergraduate program in Dec.2020. I've received a post graduate program offer from new school but the program will start in September, can I work between this gap? If I can, what's the requirement? thank you!!
Your study permit will become invalid since your break is more than 150 days.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Hurllarh

Star Member
Sep 16, 2020
Check if you meet these requirements;
Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

jeremy12138

Mar 25, 2021
ok but your first degree will not count towards your PGWP because of time between programs. No you can’t work full time until September. You are “eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion.” Your courses aren’t within 150 days of each other.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html
Your study permit will become invalid since your break is more than 150 days.
really????

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
really????
Yes really. Your programs are 9 months apart. You must start back to back programs within 150 days for your first program to be eligible for PGWP. And you can’t work for a whole 9 months between programs. You can only work 150 days so up to June. Also you need a new study permit if your programs are more than 150 days apart.

Hurllarh

Star Member
Sep 16, 2020
really????
Yes really. Your programs are 9 months apart. You must start back to back programs within 150 days for your first program to be eligible for PGWP. And you can’t work for a whole 9 months between programs. You can only work 150 days so up to June. Also you need a new study permit if your programs are more than 150 days apart.
If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences.

Students who have applied to extend their stay in Canada as a student are required to cease working if their study permit application is refused.
source was from this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html

Reactions: Naturgrl

berkancam

Aug 14, 2019
As long as the student completed the programs within 2 years both programs are counted towards PGWP length. Source: PGWP Length (Different programs), PGWP Eligibility

I don't know what is your source but you shouldn't be speaking this certain without providing a reliable source.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
As long as the student completed the programs within 2 years both programs are counted towards PGWP length. Source: PGWP Length (Different programs), PGWP Eligibility

I don't know what is your source but you shouldn't be speaking this certain without providing a reliable source.
First of all you are replying to a post from March 2021. Second, the question was not about PGWP at all. It was about extending a study permit between programs. And you have to begin your second program within 150 days (6 months). So I was not giving incorrect information.

berkancam

Aug 14, 2019
First of all you are replying to a post from March 2021. Second, the question was not about PGWP at all. It was about extending a study permit between programs. And you have to begin your second program within 150 days (6 months). So I was not giving incorrect information.
Check up what you wrote. You were clearly talking about PGWP. And you can start a program of study even if it’s more than 150 days (5 months) after the completion date of the first program. The only problem is that the student would need to change their status to a visitor or leave Canada and come back to study before their school starts as they are not counted as “actively pursuing studies” after 150 days. But this should cause a problem on study permit extension application.

Reactions: DesiPikachu

ashleee

Oct 7, 2020
Check up what you wrote. You were clearly talking about PGWP. And you can start a program of study even if it’s more than 150 days (5 months) after the completion date of the first program. The only problem is that the student would need to change their status to a visitor or leave Canada and come back to study before their school starts as they are not counted as “actively pursuing studies” after 150 days. But this should cause a problem on study permit extension application.
Hey, if I already have a canadian bachelors (graduated may 2022) but want to pursue a masters degree starting january 2023, that is more than 150 days. In that case, can I extend my study permit? Or do I apply for a brand new study permit? and will I still be eligible for PGWP based on just the Masters?