+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about when we get married - here or there? IO issues. General advice?

hbwpg

Nov 29, 2009
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-10
AOR Received.
30-11-10
File Transfer...
12-11-2010
Med's Done....
07-05-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-06-11
Hey everyone,

My fiance and I have set the date for our wedding, this June, and have everything ready to apply as soon as possible after that, outland.

In October we drove down to the Emerson, MB border, at the suggestion of a representative from the toll free immigration number, to renew his temp residence visa so he could stay and we could plan the wedding and continue to build up the case of our relationship. He was denied entry, because he doesn't have a job (obviously) and because of what he does (video editing, filmmaking, animation) because he couldn't prove that he WASN'T working. We had bank statement printouts, of his account and mine, showing where the money we live off comes from, and the fact that he has nothing in his personal bank account. She denied him entry, though she did give him another week in Canada to say goodbye to friends, get his things ready to go, and do any last minute things that we needed to do (like get a joint bank account set up, etc).

She said we hadn't done anything wrong, but that she couldn't let him back in the country because he had no income. When we explained that I'm the income earner she didn't even want to hear it. She told him in order for him to cross back into Canada he needs to show proof of employment, have a return ticket back, and at least a grand in his bank account (not our bank account, HIS bank account).

Anyway, he's been back in Vegas for a little over a month and still can't find work - it's next to impossible. It's easy enough to book a flight with a return ticket, and since we have a joint bank account he can always transfer funds into his personal bank account to appease the border guards, but we're a bit nervous. He does mostly freelance, but apparently that isn't good enough. He has no criminal record, is in his mid 20s and the guard had told us we did EVERYTHING right and NOTHING wrong and that she even put down on his file that she believes the relationship to be genuine. It's noted on there that we intend to get married as well.

However, she also told us that when he crosses back in to get married he must tell the guards that he is here to get married or else they will see him as lying (and that's fair, honestly.) She also said that if he tells them he's here to get married, which he should, they will likely deny him. So we run the risk of planning our wedding and having him not even being allowed into the country for it, it seems.

I suggested I fly down there and we just have a legal ceremony at city hall and continue to plan our 'wedding' for June 5th. That way, we're already married and this is just a celebration with all our friends and family (75% of which are from out of town, as far away as Sweden).

Would that be the better course of action to take? If he's already married can they deny him entry to have his Canadian wedding celebration with his friends and family as if he was getting married here? I know they can always deny him entry, obviously, but this is pretty terrifying to both of us, we're not sure what to do.

I'm also concerned about what a Vegas wedding would look like to them. The fact that he is from Vegas is the reason for it, but I feel it would still look shady to officials.

Advice?