+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about visitor visa

Weihua

Jan 13, 2020
Hi everyone,
Sorry for rambling...but I just want to make it more specific...
My boyfriend and I have to wait till end of April in order to be eligible for applying common law(to prove we've been living together for 1 year)
my visa is expiring on April 1st so now I'm applying visitor visa first in order to stay in Canada legally ( from April 1-April 30)
On the form IMM5708, there are questions asking me my current martial status and if I'm in common law relstaionship, provide the date we entered common law relationship.
So my question is :
Should I choose single for my current martial status or common law?
Since technically we have to wait till April 30 to be considered as common law partners. But I'm just concerned if the answer of stating single would cause a problem when we apply for common law later at end of April?

Thank you so much !!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,
Sorry for rambling...but I just want to make it more specific...
My boyfriend and I have to wait till end of April in order to be eligible for applying common law(to prove we've been living together for 1 year)
my visa is expiring on April 1st so now I'm applying visitor visa first in order to stay in Canada legally ( from April 1-April 30)
On the form IMM5708, there are questions asking me my current martial status and if I'm in common law relstaionship, provide the date we entered common law relationship.
So my question is :
Should I choose single for my current martial status or common law?
Since technically we have to wait till April 30 to be considered as common law partners. But I'm just concerned if the answer of stating single would cause a problem when we apply for common law later at end of April?

Thank you so much !!!
You aren't common-law, so single is what you have to put.