+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Visitor Record Application

pesarak007

Dec 26, 2015
My parents entered Canada on a 5-year visitor visa that expired in Jan 2022. they entered in Sep2021 and in Nov2021, I filed a Visitor Record application for them to extend their stay until April2022 (3 months passed their visa expiry). I read on IRCC website that you have to apply at least 30 days before the current status expires and I made sure I did that (Applied 2 months before expiry). We have not yet heard from IRCC and the status says "Under Review".

I was talking to someone yesterday and he told me that Visitor record is only for the duration of a valid visa. meaning if your visa is still valid for another year or two but you want to stay more that six months at a time during that time. He said that my parents have already overstayed and have to leave ASAP.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Were my parents supposed to leave by their visa expiry or did I file the Visitor Record right? I do not see anywhere on IRCC website that says the requested extension should fall within your visa validity period.

I really appreciate your help here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My parents entered Canada on a 5-year visitor visa that expired in Jan 2022. they entered in Sep2021 and in Nov2021, I filed a Visitor Record application for them to extend their stay until April2022 (3 months passed their visa expiry). I read on IRCC website that you have to apply at least 30 days before the current status expires and I made sure I did that (Applied 2 months before expiry). We have not yet heard from IRCC and the status says "Under Review".

I was talking to someone yesterday and he told me that Visitor record is only for the duration of a valid visa. meaning if your visa is still valid for another year or two but you want to stay more that six months at a time during that time. He said that my parents have already overstayed and have to leave ASAP.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Were my parents supposed to leave by their visa expiry or did I file the Visitor Record right? I do not see anywhere on IRCC website that says the requested extension should fall within your visa validity period.

I really appreciate your help here.
You are being given wrong information. Your parents still have status. You actually should have applied right before their stay expired so you applied way too early. When they entered was their passport stamped? If not stamped they were able to remain in Canada for 6 months. Wait times for visitor records are 5-6 months so they can remain in Canada while they wait to hear about the approval/refusal. You may want to withdraw their extension request and reapply depending on how long they want to remain in Canada.

Reactions: pesarak007

pesarak007

Dec 26, 2015
You are being given wrong information. Your parents still have status. You actually should have applied right before their stay expired so you applied way too early. When they entered was their passport stamped? If not stamped they were able to remain in Canada for 6 months. Wait times for visitor records are 5-6 months so they can remain in Canada while they wait to hear about the approval/refusal. You may want to withdraw their extension request and reapply depending on how long they want to remain in Canada.
Their passport has not been stamped. They were sure they will only stay until April and they do not intend to stay more than what we applied in the Visitor Record application. However, we really panicked when that "immigration consultant" told us about the overstay.
Thank you Canuck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Their passport has not been stamped. They were sure they will only stay until April and they do not intend to stay more than what we applied in the Visitor Record application. However, we really panicked when that "immigration consultant" told us about the overstay.
Thank you Canuck.
Don’t use that immigration consultant they have no idea what they are talking about. Most of the applications can be done on your own and don’t require the use of a consultant or lawyer. When they apply for a new visa I would suggest you apply on your own and seek help from the forum. Your parents can stay for 6 months from the day they entered in September. If they want to stay later than the 6 months they have already applied to extend. They really should have applied to extend a few days before their 6 months expired. After the 6 months they will have implied status and are free to stay past the 6 months until they hear about their extension. If they leave before hearing about the extension you should send in a webform to IRCC indicating that they have left Canada.

pesarak007

Dec 26, 2015
Thank you for letting me know about the webform. I will make sure I send a Webform note to IRCC if we do not hear from them by the time my parents are leaving.

Divya_S

Aug 13, 2018
Don’t use that immigration consultant they have no idea what they are talking about. Most of the applications can be done on your own and don’t require the use of a consultant or lawyer. When they apply for a new visa I would suggest you apply on your own and seek help from the forum. Your parents can stay for 6 months from the day they entered in September. If they want to stay later than the 6 months they have already applied to extend. They really should have applied to extend a few days before their 6 months expired. After the 6 months they will have implied status and are free to stay past the 6 months until they hear about their extension. If they leave before hearing about the extension you should send in a webform to IRCC indicating that they have left Canada.

Divya_S

Aug 13, 2018
I have a quick question on this, do they not need to apply 30 days before their status expires? My mom’s status will expire in April and I missed 30 days timeline can I still apply for her visitor record with less then 30 days left for her status to be expired?

pesarak007

Dec 26, 2015
I have a quick question on this, do they not need to apply 30 days before their status expires? My mom’s status will expire in April and I missed 30 days timeline can I still apply for her visitor record with less then 30 days left for her status to be expired?
Divya,

I am no expert in this but this is what IRCC website says:

"If you want to extend your stay as a visitor or change your status (from international student or worker to visitor for example), you should apply at least 30 days before your current status expires. "

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. It is more of a suggestion to apply 30 days before. As long as her stay is still valid she can apply for an extension.

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020
Hi Canuck,

I am in process of applying a visitor record from my parents. The visa is going to expire in 28 days from now .Please respond to below doubt :

1 Do we need to provide letter of explanation to explain the reason ?

Reason I am asking this is because in the Letter of Financial support I have mentioned that I need to spend some more time with them before they return to home country as we had been staying away for past 2 years due to pandemic.

Since I am applying for them ,do I need to use " Use of representative form " ?

sbliss

Aug 29, 2019
Hi all, I would like to apply for a visitor record for my mother, who is currently in Canada with me as a visitor. Her 6 months will expire at the end of October. I would like to extend her stay for another 5 months (less than 6 months). Is medical needed for this application?

Feby Gigi

Nov 22, 2019
Hi there. Myself Feby. I have recently brought my parents to canada on July 15 th on visitor visa . There passports was not stamped at airport. Now there 6 months is ending in December 15 th. But I want them to stay until end January. What should I do should I apply for an extension for a short period of time. Or does flagpole work for them . Please let me know your suggestion. If extending when should I apply for it .
Thank you

sbliss

Aug 29, 2019
Hi Canuck,

I am in process of applying a visitor record from my parents. The visa is going to expire in 28 days from now .Please respond to below doubt :

1 Do we need to provide letter of explanation to explain the reason ?

Reason I am asking this is because in the Letter of Financial support I have mentioned that I need to spend some more time with them before they return to home country as we had been staying away for past 2 years due to pandemic.

Since I am applying for them ,do I need to use " Use of representative form " ?
Hi JamesRodriguez, did you apply for the vistor record. If then did you do medical for your parents for this application. Please let me know. Regards

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020
Hi JamesRodriguez, did you apply for the vistor record. If then did you do medical for your parents for this application. Please let me know. Regards
Hey ,

Yes I applied for a record, but they didn't receive anything (neither Biometrics nor Medical Request).
I applied on April 10th and withdrawn on 20th August ,and received withdraw acceptance from IRCC on August 29th.

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020
From past posts on forum, I believe they send request for medical once they approve the application for a record.