+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about VISA (plastic sticker) extension. (TRV?)

Vectroid

Jul 2, 2010
Hello all,

I have recently completed my studies and received my diploma. I applied for a Post Grad Work Permit and got it. What I am worried about is the plastic sticker VISA inside of my passport (Im confused about whether it's the TRV or not) where it says that it expires on the 31st of August of this year. Do I need to renew this as soon as possible to stay in Canada to work? Where do you renew this and get a new "sticker"? I am getting quite confused with this. Does it require that I send my passport to a visa office outside of Canada or can I do this from within? If it has to be from outside, do I have to send my passport to the VISA office which is bound to my country? or can I just send it to a VISA office in the US? (Closer).

Thanks all for your time.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Vectroid said:
Hello all,

I have recently completed my studies and received my diploma. I applied for a Post Grad Work Permit and got it. What I am worried about is the plastic sticker VISA inside of my passport (Im confused about whether it's the TRV or not) where it says that it expires on the 31st of August of this year. Do I need to renew this as soon as possible to stay in Canada to work? Where do you renew this and get a new "sticker"? I am getting quite confused with this. Does it require that I send my passport to a visa office outside of Canada or can I do this from within? If it has to be from outside, do I have to send my passport to the VISA office which is bound to my country? or can I just send it to a VISA office in the US? (Closer).

Thanks all for your time.
1. The sticker in your passport is the TRV. If you don't intend to leave Canada (other than the US or St. Pierre et Miquelon) then you don't require a new TRV.
2. If you want to leave and re-enter, then you will have to apply to one of the Canadian offices in the US for a new TRV.

Vectroid

Jul 2, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Glad I do not have to be stressed anymore :) So I do not have to send it to Nairobi?(Visa office bound to be country, Mauritius) I can just send it to the closest visa office outside of Canada? I was not sure as I thought I read elsewhere that for a renewed TRV I would need to send it back to the Visa office bound to my country but I guess it is only for new or first time TRVs and not extensions?