+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about unemployment for Personal History section

Florence88

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
Please can someone advise me....having just got ITA I'm filling in forms and a bit stuck what to put in Personal History section for dates when I was unemployed/looking for work.
It asks "describe what you were doing" so I put "unemployed" or should I put "looking for work" do you think?
Then it asks for the "name of the company" as the question assumes you are working. Any advice on what to write here. I so want the application to be right. Grateful for any advice, thank you.

slashmaybe

May 20, 2019
My bad, the Activity type would be "Unemployed"

Could I put "Unemployed" for the field "Describe what you were doing" too?

Tagging @DelPiero07 here (sorry)

vsfedotov

Aug 12, 2019
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I put it 'looking for job', 'waiting for the US work permit', etc., accordingly in activity type.
N/A for the company.
I don't think there are set rules for this section. As long as what you say looks legit, you're good.

RBV2909

May 7, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
19-02-2019
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
20-09-2019
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2019
Unemployed, Looking for Jobs, Spending time with family/friends anything works for activity type
Company - N/A

slashmaybe

May 20, 2019
Ok, and it is good if you explain this gap period in the LoE right? The Assessing Officer would expect an explanation for this?

vsfedotov

Aug 12, 2019
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Ok, and it is good if you explain this gap period in the LoE right? The Assessing Officer would expect an explanation for this?
I think it's entirely up to you. Some gaps are logical, i.e. after graduation. If you studied, reflect it as education.
Some people become stay at home parents - but you'd better put Homemaker than, since it's technically not unemployment. Unemployment is linked to job search. If you were volunteering somewhere, or freelancing you'd better call it employment and specify you were a volunteer or a freelancer. It's my guess, so don't count it as a legal advice please.

slashmaybe

May 20, 2019
I think it's entirely up to you. Some gaps are logical, i.e. after graduation. If you studied, reflect it as education.
Some people become stay at home parents - but you'd better put Homemaker than, since it's technically not unemployment. Unemployment is linked to job search. If you were volunteering somewhere, or freelancing you'd better call it employment and specify you were a volunteer or a freelancer. It's my guess, so don't count it as a legal advice please.
Yes, and for the 3-month gap after my undergraudate degree of 4 years (before which I went on to did my masters) is "Unemployed" a good Activity Type? Personally, it fells strange because I had never intended to work after graduating and knew I was going for my Masters.

But then, if I put in "Educational Activity" I would have to enter an educational institute too right?

vsfedotov

Aug 12, 2019
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Yes, and for the 3-month gap after my undergraudate degree of 4 years (before which I went on to did my masters) is "Unemployed" a good Activity Type? Personally, it fells strange because I had never intended to work after graduating and knew I was going for my Masters.

But then, if I put in "Educational Activity" I would have to enter an educational institute too right?
I think 'unemployment' is your best bet here. And add smth like 'preparing to start a master's degree', or 'preparing for graduate school'.
As long as it's not suspicious or false, it's fine.

Reactions: slashmaybe

Florence88

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
Hi don't mind being copied in......I think that's all good advice. Think you just need to be absolutely honest, they are not judging you for not having worked at some point in your life. If they want to know more they can always ask. Good luck with it all, so worth the money, time and effort! Oh yes and put it in the letter if you are worried about it. I had a running list of all things I thought were a bit unclear and added them all.....happily it paid off and PR came through for me!