+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about the 'proof that relationship is genuine and continuing'

Cuo

Nov 3, 2016
Hi,

I was browsing this forum, and noticed that people, who apply for sponsorship, provide a lot of documented proof about genuine relationship, like joint accounts and other 'joint' documentation.

My question is:

Is there a point to send the application, if our relationship is a little more than a year long, and we do not have much proof, except the photos of trips and outings, vacation booking document with our names, marriage certificate and photos, and our dog (not sure if it helps). We do not have any joint documentation yet. We live together for one year at the same address, but it is not really recorded anywhere.

Please share your opinion. Should we send the application with the proof we have, or should we wait until we have more 'joint' proof?

Will application be rejected if the proof we are going to provide is not enough. Or will CIC request and wait for more proof?

All other documents and eligibility are in order.

Thank you.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
well it would depend on if you are applying as a commonlaw or married couple.

married couples don't necessarily need proof of joint accounts. we did not have any joint accounts at the time of our application and we had no issue with approval. we had only been married for 6 months when our application was submitted.

commonlaw couples need joint accounts to prove they have lived together and comingled their lives for 365+ days.

so again, this is totally dependent on which type of application you are submitting...

Cuo

Nov 3, 2016
Thank you for letting me know. It is encouraging.

We will apply as a married couple.

Best Regards.

just a square

Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
AOR Received.
08-07-2016
File Transfer...
SA 08-08-2016, AOR2 16-08-2016
Med's Done....
06-05-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
14-03-2017
I also applied when our relationship was just a little more than a year long. I probably even sent less evidence than you. So I can't rely on my experience yet, to say if what you've got is enough or not, but at least know you're not alone. :)

dominokitty

Mar 19, 2014
Canada - Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2015
AOR Received.
12-12-2015
Med's Request
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
upfront, then again on 25-05-2016
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
30-06-2016 - Calgary
Cuo said:
Hi,

I was browsing this forum, and noticed that people, who apply for sponsorship, provide a lot of documented proof about genuine relationship, like joint accounts and other 'joint' documentation.

My question is:

Is there a point to send the application, if our relationship is a little more than a year long, and we do not have much proof, except the photos of trips and outings, vacation booking document with our names, marriage certificate and photos, and our dog (not sure if it helps). We do not have any joint documentation yet. We live together for one year at the same address, but it is not really recorded anywhere.

Please share your opinion. Should we send the application with the proof we have, or should we wait until we have more 'joint' proof?

Will application be rejected if the proof we are going to provide is not enough. Or will CIC request and wait for more proof?

Thank you.
Hi, Cuo! Don't worry. My husband and I didn't even live together for the first year and a half of our marriage because of the immigration issue. We had no joint bank accounts and only chat logs, photos, wedding stuff, and flight records as proof. We were approved just fine.

However, we were married and had been together for several years. You might feel that it's too soon for marriage, since you've only been together a bit over a year. Common-law relationships (like what it sounds like you guys have currently) require extra proof of joint bank accounts, rental agreements, etc. You need to show you're both living in the same place in that case, and provide concrete proof of it.

I'd suggest getting married first, even if it means waiting until you're both ready to do so. It makes the whole process a lot easier, and if you're thinking of sponsoring him as a common-law spouse you're essentially married already anyway. Might as well make it official!

stentorian

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
11-05-2016
File Transfer...
13-06-2016
Med's Done....
Up Front
Passport Req..
21-09-2016
LANDED..........
29-10-2016
Cuo said:
Hi,

My question is:

Thank you.
Shouldn't be any issue.
We only stayed together about 3 weeks.

pyros1

Mar 8, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
XX-04-2016
Doc's Request.
06-23-2016
AOR Received.
06-23-2016
Med's Done....
XX-02-2016
Cuo said:
Thank you for letting me know. It is encouraging.

We will apply as a married couple.

Best Regards.
My wife and I weren't able to live together due to me working in Canada and her in Asia.
We provided proof that we were in contact continously throughout the relationship and up through and after wedding when we applied.
Pictures and trips, plane tickets were all submitted as evidence.
They have not come back asking for more proof.

Cuo

Nov 3, 2016
Thank you all for replies. I appreciate it. We will send the application with what evidence we have at this time.