+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about the OWP and sponsorship?

CanadianGirl593

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
I have a question about the OWP regards to common law sponsorship. Do we have to apply for the OWP and sponsorship at the same time? Or can we apply for the OWP a few months before?

I ask because our proof for the common law sponsorship is taking a while to get all together and it would be nice if my partner would be able to work during the time of us getting our proof. I can't find anywhere that says when we need to apply for the OWP. I know some people send the OWP with their sponsorship application, so I'm just asking to be 100% sure of when we need to apply for the OWP.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
you can send the inland sponsorship + OWP at the same time as a package.....or send the inland sponsorship and later send the OWP.

Open work permits for spouses or common-law partners in Canada
If you’re applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada class, you may qualify for an open work permit while your application for permanent residence is being processed. You can submit your application for an open work permit together with your application for permanent residence, or after you apply.

CanadianGirl593

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
you can send the inland sponsorship + OWP at the same time as a package.....or send the inland sponsorship and later send the OWP.

Open work permits for spouses or common-law partners in Canada
If you’re applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada class, you may qualify for an open work permit while your application for permanent residence is being processed. You can submit your application for an open work permit together with your application for permanent residence, or after you apply.
Thank you for the information.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I have a question about the OWP regards to common law sponsorship. Do we have to apply for the OWP and sponsorship at the same time? Or can we apply for the OWP a few months before?

I ask because our proof for the common law sponsorship is taking a while to get all together and it would be nice if my partner would be able to work during the time of us getting our proof. I can't find anywhere that says when we need to apply for the OWP. I know some people send the OWP with their sponsorship application, so I'm just asking to be 100% sure of when we need to apply for the OWP.
The OWP pilot program expires January 31 and they have not announced that they are renewing it yet. They usually wait until the last minute to do so but this is really down to the wire.

CanadianGirl593

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
The OWP pilot program expires January 31 and they have not announced that they are renewing it yet. They usually wait until the last minute to do so but this is really down to the wire.
They have renewed the OWP pilot till July 2020. How do we apply for this? Do we just apply with the same form for a normal OWP? Or is there a different form for the OWP pilot? Also is there certain requirements to meet for the OWP pilot program?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
They have renewed the OWP pilot till July 2020. How do we apply for this? Do we just apply with the same form for a normal OWP? Or is there a different form for the OWP pilot? Also is there certain requirements to meet for the OWP pilot program?
The OWP pilot program provides the spouses of PR sponsors with an Open Work Permit while they wait to receive their PR. You will receive the OWP within 4-5 months of applying (if you apply for the OWP at the same time as PR). If the pilot program wasn't extended, you would normally receive the OWP closer to landing (so closer to 10-12 months into your PR application).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#work