+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about the NOC code and education supporting document

ahahcharlie

Mar 27, 2020
Hi guys,

I am so excited to received my ITA recently and I have a couple of questions that need some help.

1, I am currently an Environmental Engineer In Training. I searched the NOC code and found out that 2231-Civil Technician seems like a good fit for me because the environmental technician is included in the examples. I am wondering if there is any better code that I might be able to use for my application?

2, Another question is that before I came to Canada, I studied at a University in my original country for 2 semesters. I am unsure if they can help me print out any transcripts or enrollment records. If they can't, what kinda document I could use for my supporting documents(maybe explanation letter)?

Looking forwards to your answers.

Thank you

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi guys,

I am so excited to received my ITA recently and I have a couple of questions that need some help.

1, I am currently an Environmental Engineer In Training. I searched the NOC code and found out that 2231-Civil Technician seems like a good fit for me because the environmental technician is included in the examples. I am wondering if there is any better code that I might be able to use for my application?

2, Another question is that before I came to Canada, I studied at a University in my original country for 2 semesters. I am unsure if they can help me print out any transcripts or enrollment records. If they can't, what kinda document I could use for my supporting documents(maybe explanation letter)?

Looking forwards to your answers.

Thank you
Do you have a Canadian degree?

Can't help you with the NOC, you should look for the one that fits best according to the duties, the actual title is irrelevant, you should worry about the duties.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi guys,

You have to chose the NOC based on the lead statement and the job duties and responsibilities, not the job title. The job title can be a starting point to search the NOC, but you should never make the decision based on the title.

If you did not complete the program and earn a degree/diploma, you don't need it. If you earned your degree in Canada, that is all you need.

ahahcharlie

Mar 27, 2020
Hi Jen,

this is the duties that my company provides in my letter and compared with the duties in the NOC letter. It seems like a match, but want to hear your opinion about it. There is no lead statement in my letter and it just directly states my duties and responsibilities. Will that be a problem ? Thank you
  • Prepares simple plans and designs, calculations and bills of material in accordance with established codes, standards, drawings and other specifications.
  • Carries out routine technical surveys, makes suggestions to modify conception or production techniques or materials.
  • Assists more experienced technical personnel with specific aspects of more complex tasks.
  • Few technical decisions are required and these are of a routine nature with ample precedent or clearly defined procedures as guidance.
  • Works under close supervision. Work is regularly reviewed for accuracy, adequacy and conformance with prescribed procedures.
  • May request drafting staff to produce finished drawings from sketches, or may on an occasional or project basis coordinate the output of drafting or other non-professional staff on behalf of a more senior engineer.

Duties from NOC 2231:

Civil engineering technologists perform some or all of the following duties:

• Develop engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts and sketches
  • Prepare construction specifications, cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports
  • Supervise or conduct field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
  • Conduct or supervise inspection and testing of construction materials
  • May supervise, monitor and inspect construction projects.

Civil engineering technicians perform some or all of the following duties:

• Assist in developing engineering specifications and drawings
  • Participate in field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
  • Perform other technical functions in support of civil engineering activities.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Jen,

this is the duties that my company provides in my letter and compared with the duties in the NOC letter. It seems like a match, but want to hear your opinion about it. There is no lead statement in my letter and it just directly states my duties and responsibilities. Will that be a problem ? Thank you
  • Prepares simple plans and designs, calculations and bills of material in accordance with established codes, standards, drawings and other specifications.
  • Carries out routine technical surveys, makes suggestions to modify conception or production techniques or materials.
  • Assists more experienced technical personnel with specific aspects of more complex tasks.
  • Few technical decisions are required and these are of a routine nature with ample precedent or clearly defined procedures as guidance.
  • Works under close supervision. Work is regularly reviewed for accuracy, adequacy and conformance with prescribed procedures.
  • May request drafting staff to produce finished drawings from sketches, or may on an occasional or project basis coordinate the output of drafting or other non-professional staff on behalf of a more senior engineer.

Duties from NOC 2231:
Yes, in this case, it might be a problem, unless your company's name tells you what it does.

It always helps if the letter contains one or two sentences about the company - what it does, who the customers are. I think your job description, without context, does not help the VO decide about your NOC. It is very generic. Technical surveys of what? sketches of what? What kind of projects? As a lay person, I would not be able to tell from this what kind of engineering projects you work on..