+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Spouses of April 14 2020 announcement in Temporary public policy to facilitate the granting of PR residence

panheng

Dec 29, 2020
Are they saying that spouses in Canada of Foreign Nationals who qualify will automatically get PR?
Does it mean they will not be scrutinized to see if the marriage is genuine?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are they saying that spouses in Canada of Foreign Nationals who qualify will automatically get PR?
There is always scrutiny to make sure marriages are genuine.

trymybest

Feb 11, 2020
There is always scrutiny to make sure marriages are genuine.
Hi canuck78, I saw your post a lot so I assume you're an expert on immigration policy.

so you may aware of the new public policy that just been published today (April 14, 2021). Under Canadian post-secondary education, it doesn't say anything about the 1-year experience (30 hours/week = 1560 hours). So I work as a cook since Feb 2020 but due to covid, my hours are constantly changing. My employer had to reduce the labour cost so sometimes I receive less & more than 30 hours/week.

Does it mean I should be eligible even though if I don't receive 1560 hours by May 6, 2021?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi canuck78, I saw your post a lot so I assume you're an expert on immigration policy.

so you may aware of the new public policy that just been published today (April 14, 2021). Under Canadian post-secondary education, it doesn't say anything about the 1-year experience (30 hours/week = 1560 hours). So I work as a cook since Feb 2020 but due to covid, my hours are constantly changing. My employer had to reduce the labour cost so sometimes I receive less & more than 30 hours/week.

Does it mean I should be eligible even though if I don't receive 1560 hours by May 6, 2021?
You need to look at the specifics of the program to determine if you qualify. Not all information has been released but it does look like you need 1560 hours

Reactions: trymybest

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The announcements are here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2021/04/new-pathway-to-permanent-residency-for-over-90000-essential-temporary-workers-and-international-graduates.html

The individual program requirements are here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/public-policies.html

You can look at one such with requirements for spouses here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/public-policies/trpr-canadian-work-experience.html

There is no indication - of course - that there will be reduced scrutiny of the genuineness of the marriage or relationship. Language mirrors the usual 'the foreign national meets the definition of a family member" according to the regulations that all programs use. (Those regulations include, I believe, that the marriage/relationship must be genuine etc). Other usual admissibility criteria also apply.

1. the foreign national meets the definition of a “family member” in subsection 1(3) of the Regulations;
  2. the foreign national is not inadmissible pursuant to the Act and Regulations; ...

Sharukh khan

Jan 14, 2019
So can we apply to this program even our spouse sponsorship is in process?
This sponsorship is taking forever so im gonna apply under new public program and then withdraw the second application once its approved

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So can we apply to this program even our spouse sponsorship is in process?
This sponsorship is taking forever so im gonna apply under new public program and then withdraw the second application once its approved
As with other PR programs, for the most part there's no problem to apply for another at the same time as a spousal sponsorship. Whether it goes faster or helps, well, try it and see.

Reactions: Sharukh khan