+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Spousal Application /TRV

Aquitaine90

Apr 22, 2024
Hi everyone, I (Canadian citizen born here) am dating for a year and planning to marry my girlfriend in Brazil later this year. I've read a lot of info and threads about Outland Sponsorship and plan to have everything ready beforehand but have some questions (could be overthinking things but want to be sure):

1. Should we wait a bit after getting married to submit the application? I.e. will they question why we're submitting so quickly?
  2. I didn't see much info on the IRCC site about the TRV after receiving AOR, has there been a high success rate? My gf has tried to visit twice in the past (5 years ago and last month) and both were rejected due to "lack of family ties" (she lives with family but has a full time job there at the moment, she also has aunt/uncle/cousins in Canada who tried to invite her to come before).
  3. I've only visited once for a month in person but we talk everyday via text and WhatsApp, does that hurt the process?
  4. Any other advice/tips to see if we can be together faster?
Could possibly have more follow up questions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, I (Canadian citizen born here) am dating for a year and planning to marry my girlfriend in Brazil later this year. I've read a lot of info and threads about Outland Sponsorship and plan to have everything ready beforehand but have some questions (could be overthinking things but want to be sure):

1. Should we wait a bit after getting married to submit the application? I.e. will they question why we're submitting so quickly?
  2. I didn't see much info on the IRCC site about the TRV after receiving AOR, has there been a high success rate? My gf has tried to visit twice in the past (5 years ago and last month) and both were rejected due to "lack of family ties" (she lives with family but has a full time job there at the moment, she also has aunt/uncle/cousins in Canada who tried to invite her to come before).
  3. I've only visited once for a month in person but we talk everyday via text and WhatsApp, does that hurt the process?
  4. Any other advice/tips to see if we can be together faster?
Could possibly have more follow up questions.
1. You can apply immediately.
2. Approval rates aren't published anywhere. Make sure she declares the previous refusals and shows strong ties to her home country. Approval of the TRV after AOR is unfortunately not guaranteed.
3. Are you saying that you have only one trip so far to see her in person and your next trip is to get married? This could be a bit of a red flag. Suggest visiting her one or two more times before getting married.
4. Make sure your application is complete when you submit it to avoid delays.

Aquitaine90

Apr 22, 2024
Thank you for the helpful reply.

With regards to strong ties, this was one of the reasons of her refusal the first time. Is there anything we can do to change this? She doesn't have a property in her name, but all her family is there and she has family in Canada (not including myself as 'family').

We might plan another trip beforehand, but if it's not possible, can we include other proof, like calls or messages? We speak multiple times a day virtually.

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
Regarding the length of marriage, on one of the application forms you have to complete, they do ask "have you been married for at least 2 years?" (or words to that effect). So that's their general guideline. However in my case I had only been married 9 months (although we have known eachother for over 2.5 years now). I decided to wait a bit after we got married at least until we'd reached the two-year mark in our relationship. My spouse was approved as sponsor last week so it was ok for me.

I think they may question the strength of your relationship based on the fact you've only visited her once for a month throughout your whole relationship. They do ask to see photos evidencing your relationship (obviously that would include any future marriage you have). Personally if I were you (and if you are able), you should visit her again to present a stronger case for your union. Just my opinion but obviously it's your own personal choice what you do. :)

Also just to add, they do like to see evidence of social messages (with dates), correspondence, emails, ANYTHING to confirm you are in a relationship.

Aquitaine90

Apr 22, 2024
Regarding the length of marriage, on one of the application forms you have to complete, they do ask "have you been married for at least 2 years?" (or words to that effect). So that's their general guideline. However in my case I had only been married 9 months (although we have known eachother for over 2.5 years now). I decided to wait a bit after we got married at least until we'd reached the two-year mark in our relationship. My spouse was approved as sponsor last week so it was ok for me.

I think they may question the strength of your relationship based on the fact you've only visited her once for a month throughout your whole relationship. They do ask to see photos evidencing your relationship (obviously that would include any future marriage you have). Personally if I were you (and if you are able), you should visit her again to present a stronger case for your union. Just my opinion but obviously it's your own personal choice what you do. :)

Also just to add, they do like to see evidence of social messages (with dates), correspondence, emails, ANYTHING to confirm you are in a relationship.
Thank you for the detailed advice. Yes we will save everything including even receipts for gifts to each other, pictures etc.

Your suggestion about planning another visit makes sense, we will definitely think about it.

May I ask how long your application took and how long you stayed apart? Did you visit eachother often?

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
May I ask how long your application took and how long you stayed apart? Did you visit eachother often?
My application is still being processed, I only submitted the paperwork 2 months ago (I'm the PA, he is the sponsor. You can see in my signature what stage we are at with the application). Basically he lives in Quebec and I live in UK, I visited him 3 times for a decent duration (4, weeks, 6 weeks and 7 weeks) over the past 2 years (we got married on the second visit), and obviously we have maintained daily contact online in various ways. This is why I recommend providing as much evidence as possible that you're in a relationship, anything from gifts posted, letters sent, emails, texts, as well as photos of you together (in a variety of contexts, eg, summer, winter and different places), and also some with your partner's relatives, because it shows you are accepted by her family. She should do the same for you really, although as you say she hasn't visited you in your country yet. In my case I am the one doing most of the "donkey work" (lol) in gathering together all the evidence and info we need. You will need patience.

Also, you say you are planning to marry. She will need to prove as applicant that she is single in her country (in UK we call it a statutory declaration). She will need to do her part in some ways for the marriage bit. To be honest I think at this stage you should focus on all the legalities of getting married rather than the visa application just yet. I know it can be frustrating having to wait but patience is important here, otherwise immigration may suspect a marriage of convenience or ulterior motive. Consult a lawyer if necessary and so some research online.

Aquitaine90

Apr 22, 2024
My application is still being processed, I only submitted the paperwork 2 months ago (I'm the PA, he is the sponsor. You can see in my signature what stage we are at with the application). Basically he lives in Quebec and I live in UK, I visited him 3 times for a decent duration (4, weeks, 6 weeks and 7 weeks) over the past 2 years (we got married on the second visit), and obviously we have maintained daily contact online in various ways. This is why I recommend providing as much evidence as possible that you're in a relationship, anything from gifts posted, letters sent, emails, texts, as well as photos of you together (in a variety of contexts, eg, summer, winter and different places), and also some with your partner's relatives, because it shows you are accepted by her family. She should do the same for you really, although as you say she hasn't visited you in your country yet. In my case I am the one doing most of the "donkey work" (lol) in gathering together all the evidence and info we need. You will need patience.

Also, you say you are planning to marry. She will need to prove as applicant that she is single in her country (in UK we call it a statutory declaration). She will need to do her part in some ways for the marriage bit. To be honest I think at this stage you should focus on all the legalities of getting married rather than the visa application just yet. I know it can be frustrating having to wait but patience is important here, otherwise immigration may suspect a marriage of convenience or ulterior motive. Consult a lawyer if necessary and so some research online.
Thank you! We will look into these suggestions and hope it goes smoothly! I hope your process is quick and painless as well

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for the helpful reply.

With regards to strong ties, this was one of the reasons of her refusal the first time. Is there anything we can do to change this? She doesn't have a property in her name, but all her family is there and she has family in Canada (not including myself as 'family').

We might plan another trip beforehand, but if it's not possible, can we include other proof, like calls or messages? We speak multiple times a day virtually.
Unless she is a minor, her parents and siblings do not count as "family". Once she is married to you, you will be her only family and that's strong tie to Canada.

Aquitaine90

Apr 22, 2024
Unless she is a minor, her parents and siblings do not count as "family". Once she is married to you, you will be her only family and that's strong tie to Canada.
This makes sense to me in terms of the post sponsorship TRV. What's the point of advertising reunification if your spouse is not a strong family tie

Aquitaine90

Apr 22, 2024
Hello, again thank you for the suggestions - as a follow up I've decided to travel at least once more to visit and propose officially (even though we're already planning our wedding at the end of the year). I just had a couple of follow up questions and didn't want to start a new thread.

1. I am thinking of taking a sabbatical from work -- I've been working for years and thinking of a career change, thankfully I live with family so I've managed to save quite a bit of money. I would like to take the opportunity to be with my newlywed wife as a visitor in her country, while we apply for sponsorship and the post-AOR TRV. Is this a good idea or a red flag? Do I need to be in Canada physically to sponsor her? Do I need to inform on the application that I am there or as a Citizen it does not matter?

2. I read that you don't need to actually have a job to sponsor, and wonder if this really is the case and if it is, is there a "minimum" I need in my bank account to prove I can support her?

Just trying to see what I can do for us to be together while we wait and return together.