+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about sponsoring parents

ku567

Nov 24, 2019
I received my COPR this year and I landed as a PR in Toronto. During the immigration interview, I noticed that they had a question 'Do you have any dependents?' which I answered as No since my parents are working and technically not dependent on me. Likewise, when I submitted the PR application, I didn't add them as dependents since they were working. Someone told me I won't be able to sponsor them for PR in Canada in the future. Is this true? Would this be an issue?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I received my COPR this year and I landed as a PR in Toronto. During the immigration interview, I noticed that they had a question 'Do you have any dependents?' which I answered as No since my parents are working and technically not dependent on me. Likewise, when I submitted the PR application, I didn't add them as dependents since they were working. Someone told me I won't be able to sponsor them for PR in Canada in the future. Is this true? Would this be an issue?
Parents aren't dependents for immigration purposes.

Reactions: YVR123

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. You parents are not dependents, only your spouse and children (if any) are dependents