+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about renewing PR card

weimi7978

Jun 23, 2009
Hi all
Please help me!! I have some questions about renewing PR card.
I have lived in Canada for 630 days. I am studying in US now. My PR card will expire on Sep, 2010. Can I successfully renew my PR card if I plan to go back Canada on May 16, 2010, and live in Canada for June, July, August, 2010? What do you think when is my latest day to go back Canada to keep my PR status? In normal process, How long does it take to get the renewed PR card? Before I get my renewed PR card, am I out of legal status in Canada? During PR card renewing time, What is my legal status to stay in Canada? What documents can use to prove my legal status to stay in Canada?
Please help me answer these questions because I have to decide when should I graduate from my school in US in order to Keep my PR status in Canada. Thanks a lot!!

A

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to count from the day you landed as a PR, your first 5 year period as a PR. During that time, you can not have been outside Canada more than 1095 days. After you have been PR for 5 years or more, it's always the previous 5 years they look at.

It takes 67 days to get a PR card renewed, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#pr_card Before you get your PR card, you are still in status in Canada. You can use your landing papers to prove your status but if you are already moving back in May, you will have taken care of registration, drivers license, health care and everything else long before you apply to renew your PR card so you will not need it.