+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about re-apply study permit

kaiyi li

Sep 19, 2020
Hi guys,

My friend is a fully-funded Ph.D. student from one of the top universities in Canada. His study permit has been rejected. But he has started his courses and research. Under this situation, can he re-apply the study permit? Since the offer said, "only 2020 fall semester valid". Or he has to withdraw from the university? Besides, the immigration office in the university said he can re-apply the study permit and does not need to suspend for his courses and research. Is it still a chance for him to get the visa? He has started thinking about re-apply other universities in other countries. Thanks!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You can't study in Canada without a study permit but are of course free to reapply. Refusals are pretty rare for PhD students. What university? Request GCMS notes to figure out what the exact reason was.

AliAhmad1090

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Hi guys,

My friend is a fully-funded Ph.D. student from one of the top universities in Canada. His study permit has been rejected. But he has started his courses and research. Under this situation, can he re-apply the study permit? Since the offer said, "only 2020 fall semester valid". Or he has to withdraw from the university? Besides, the immigration office in the university said he can re-apply the study permit and does not need to suspend for his courses and research. Is it still a chance for him to get the visa? He has started thinking about re-apply other universities in other countries. Thanks!
He rejected after AIP? What was timelines (application date, biometric date)? What was his field of study and domain of master's study?
Is there is any study GAP? He submitted SOPs or not?

kaiyi li

Sep 19, 2020
You can't study in Canada without a study permit but are of course free to reapply. Refusals are pretty rare for PhD students. What university? Request GCMS notes to figure out what the exact reason was.
The problem is that he is not in Canada. So, Can he continue his study and research or he has to suspend or withdraw?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Well, that's actually less of a problem because in theory, you can study from outside of Canada without a permit at the moment. I feel like there must be some particular reason (incomplete paperwork, human error, etc.) that a PhD candidate at a top university was refused. The UofT international office should be involved.

Reactions: forestalt

kaiyi li

Sep 19, 2020
He rejected after AIP? What was timelines (application date, biometric date)? What was his field of study and domain of master's study?
Is there is any study GAP? He submitted SOPs or not?
He did not get AIP. He submitted in July and gave his biometric in July but not receive any response after that. His field is seismic or earthquake. He finished his master in the US and no Gap. His master is mining engineering and his bachelor is petroleum engineering. His research in UofT is related to petroleum engineering. I do not think the major should be a problem since UofT has provided him a big scholarship (about 40000$ counting the tuition and other fees for the first year). He submitted SOP. He is from China. He just thinks it is hard to understand.

Last edited:

kaiyi li

Sep 19, 2020
Well, that's actually less of a problem because in theory, you can study from outside of Canada without a permit at the moment. I feel like there must be some particular reason (incomplete paperwork, human error, etc.) that a PhD candidate at a top university was refused. The UofT international office should be involved.
I heard that the visa office hired some people as temporary visa officers to deal with study permits. And He is not the only fully-funded Ph.D. get rejected. Actually, he worries that the IRCC will use the excuse "your letter of acceptance has expired since it is only valid for this fall semester". It is a really hard time for him, you know. UofT is one of the top-ranking universities in the world. And he should have a better future.

• Angry
Reactions: Bond 007

kaiyi li

Sep 19, 2020
Hi guys,

Hi, friends, what should he do now?

AliAhmad1090

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Thanks for the suggestion! What about his courses and research? Should he stop for the courses and research? or Just continue? He is not sure about it.
Contact with university/funding body if they can extend to next semester. Then first get GCMS notes and tackle all the issues in it and then reapply. Otherwise (if they are not agree to extend) continue every thing.

Reactions: forestalt

kaiyi li

Sep 19, 2020
He should really be figuring this out with the international student advisor of UofT who is better equipped to deal with this than anyone here
Thanks for the suggestion! He will try to arrange a meeting with the immigration advisor.

kaiyi li

Sep 19, 2020
Contact with university/funding body if they can extend to next semester. Then first get GCMS notes and tackle all the issues in it and then reapply. Otherwise (if they are not agree to extend) continue every thing.
Actually, he has registered for one academic year (2020 fall and 2021 winter). So, I think the funding will also continue at least for these two semesters.