+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about proof of relationship for outland application couple who haven't lived together

Unbalanced

Aug 14, 2019
Hi, I have a couple questions about the process for my partner (US citizen) and I (Canadian citizen). We've been in a very long LDR but haven't lived together yet because we met online when we were teenagers, and since then we remained in our own countries to complete our undergrad degrees. In the last few months, we've each graduated, gotten married, and I found a well-paying job in Toronto to support us.

However I'm still worried about things like the proof of relationship section (in IMM5533e) because they seem geared for people who were living together. The requirements for us specifically would be...

"Select at least two of the following four options and provide the documents requested for each
  • Important documents for you and your spouse showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment or insurance benefits)
  • Documentary evidence of financial support between you and your sponsor, and/or shared expenses
  • Other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters from friends/family, social media information showing a public relationship, etc.).
  • Proof of past cohabitation, if you are not currently living together but did at one point in the past
If you did not check at least two boxes above:
  • I am unable to provide documents from a minimum of two of the above sets of options. I am instead submitting a written explanation for why these are not available. I am also providing any other evidence I have to demonstrate that my relationship is genuine."
It seems to me like at the current moment we can only fill the 3rd requirement (asking family/friends to write letters and demonstrating our relationship was public). Since we don't live together and we've been students for the past few years, we've had no reason to combine finances in any way, and that's only something we'd be looking at now that we do have the ability to save up. If we start on that process now, would that be accepted in our application? e.g., if we went and tried to get a joint bank account or something, would that be considered "genuine" or would they reject it based on it being opened so close to our application? Are there any other ways we can fill out these requirements? If we can't, what sort of evidence and written explanation should we provide?

Has anyone else been in this sort of situation? It feels like because we grew our relationship as students and not adults with financial obligations and entwinement in how we deal with those, we're coming in at a disadvantage for evidence.

Reactions: D&S

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Hi, I have a couple questions about the process for my partner (US citizen) and I (Canadian citizen). We've been in a very long LDR but haven't lived together yet because we met online when we were teenagers, and since then we remained in our own countries to complete our undergrad degrees. In the last few months, we've each graduated, gotten married, and I found a well-paying job in Toronto to support us.

However I'm still worried about things like the proof of relationship section (in IMM5533e) because they seem geared for people who were living together. The requirements for us specifically would be...

"Select at least two of the following four options and provide the documents requested for each
  • Important documents for you and your spouse showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment or insurance benefits)
  • Documentary evidence of financial support between you and your sponsor, and/or shared expenses
  • Other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters from friends/family, social media information showing a public relationship, etc.).
  • Proof of past cohabitation, if you are not currently living together but did at one point in the past
If you did not check at least two boxes above:
  • I am unable to provide documents from a minimum of two of the above sets of options. I am instead submitting a written explanation for why these are not available. I am also providing any other evidence I have to demonstrate that my relationship is genuine."
It seems to me like at the current moment we can only fill the 3rd requirement (asking family/friends to write letters and demonstrating our relationship was public). Since we don't live together and we've been students for the past few years, we've had no reason to combine finances in any way, and that's only something we'd be looking at now that we do have the ability to save up. If we start on that process now, would that be accepted in our application? e.g., if we went and tried to get a joint bank account or something, would that be considered "genuine" or would they reject it based on it being opened so close to our application? Are there any other ways we can fill out these requirements? If we can't, what sort of evidence and written explanation should we provide?

Has anyone else been in this sort of situation? It feels like because we grew our relationship as students and not adults with financial obligations and entwinement in how we deal with those, we're coming in at a disadvantage for evidence.
Financial support doesn't mean your finances have to be shared. Sure, joint accounts provide additional proof of a 'marriage-like' relationship, but not everyone likes joining accounts with their partner. Financial support can mean money transfers that you have sent each other, paying for tickets, flights, bills, etc. Just so I'm understanding correctly - you are married, but do not live together? Can you add your spouse to your insurance package at work? Seems like you should be able to fulfill this requirement.

laport2018

Sep 25, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-04-2019
AOR Received.
17-12-2018
File Transfer...
20-03-2019
Med's Request
09-01-2019
Med's Done....
16-01-2019
My husband and I never lived together either . We provided a few chats from each month, family and friends wrote letters . I showed that I added him as a benifitary to my life insurance at work , for financial proof I wrote that we do not financially support each other at the moment because we live in separate countries , however we share expenses when I visit etc .
It’s tough but you can always add extra pages to explain

laport2018

Sep 25, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-04-2019
AOR Received.
17-12-2018
File Transfer...
20-03-2019
Med's Request
09-01-2019
Med's Done....
16-01-2019
My husband and I never lived together either . We provided a few chats from each month, family and friends wrote letters . I showed that I added him as a benifitary to my life insurance at work , for financial proof I wrote that we do not financially support each other at the moment because we live in separate countries , however we share expenses when I visit etc .
It’s tough but you can always add extra pages to explain
We applied Outland

Hana Diabas

Aug 26, 2016
I think your situation will be tricky! And it all depends on the officer who will handle your file which honest to God it’s very ridiculous!
You definitely need to explain in a letter why you haven’t lived with each other during this time! And if u guys are planning to live together in the future provide a proof for example a rent agreement or maybe a job offer!
My husband and I have been together for 11 years .. 8 years were LDR ! They were very picky on us we had to fight a very serious PFL!
I would also suggest that you consult an immigration counselor! They are so helpful and their services are free !
Good luck for you both

laport2018

Sep 25, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-04-2019
AOR Received.
17-12-2018
File Transfer...
20-03-2019
Med's Request
09-01-2019
Med's Done....
16-01-2019
I think your situation will be tricky! And it all depends on the officer who will handle your file which honest to God it’s very ridiculous!
You definitely need to explain in a letter why you haven’t lived with each other during this time! And if u guys are planning to live together in the future provide a proof for example a rent agreement or maybe a job offer!
My husband and I have been together for 11 years .. 8 years were LDR ! They were very picky on us we had to fight a very serious PFL!
I would also suggest that you consult an immigration counselor! They are so helpful and their services are free !
Good luck for you both
Thank you !
We are Outland and in two different countries , I visit a lot so it shouldn’t be a problem :) tons of us are applying Outland and have never lived together ... that’s the point of an Outland application

xMrsBee

Star Member
Aug 19, 2019
Visa Office......
New York
App. Filed.......
22-08-2019
AOR Received.
21-09-2019
File Transfer...
30-10-2019
Med's Request
26-09-2019
Med's Done....
02-10-2019
Interview........
06/10/2020
You’re going to be just fine. My husband and I haven’t lived together either. We’ve been together for 6 years and got married on New Year’s Eve last year. We got letters from friends and family, we put each other as emergency contacts at our jobs & shared congratulation cards we were given from our coworkers when we got married. I also added a few hotel invoices and flight receipts from each visit. We added screen caps from posts we made about our engagement and wedding with friends and family commenting on them, pictures from a scrapbook I made for my husband after our first visit etc... Our GCKey says we don’t need anymore documents so as of now we’ve had no issues and honestly we’re not worried. Just stay confident and add whatever you can and give reasons for the things you can’t, that’s all you can do. You got this :)

Last edited: