+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about PR card renewal

becca545

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Hi everyone,
My passport will be expiring tomorrow and I plan to submit my PR renewal application next week. The website says I can submit the passport I got my PR stamped in. Can I do that, even though it will be expired? Just wanted to confirm that I’m not misreading it? Also when they want photocopy of passport, is it literally just the biometric page?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why don't apply to renew your PR card today when your passport is still valid? I would photocopy every page including the biometric page.

Btw, your passport will likely have a future expiry date no matter you renew tomorrow or months later.

Reactions: rainydayincanada

becca545

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Why don't apply to renew your PR card today when your passport is still valid? I would photocopy every page including the biometric page.

Btw, your passport will likely have a future expiry date no matter you renew tomorrow or months later.
It will get to them after it expires so I thought to take the weekend and complete the form properly. Does it make a difference if I do today or next week?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It will get to them after it expires so I thought to take the weekend and complete the form properly. Does it make a difference if I do today or next week?
You can try and let us know the result.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi everyone,
My passport will be expiring tomorrow and I plan to submit my PR renewal application next week. The website says I can submit the passport I got my PR stamped in. Can I do that, even though it will be expired? Just wanted to confirm that I’m not misreading it? Also when they want photocopy of passport, is it literally just the biometric page?

Thanks
If the passport is the one you had when you became a permanent resident, it does not matter if it is currently valid or not. This is submitted as an identity document. If this is the primary identity document you are submitting with the PR card application, follow the instructions and "include the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident." That is, in addition to biometric page, which should show the document type and number; issue and expiry date; your name; your photo; and your date of birth. If any of this is not on the biometric page, include copy of pages where it is displayed.

Instructions are here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Caution: not every participant here is trying to help, and as you have encountered some seem intent on obfuscation and mischief. Sorry.

Reactions: Ponga and becca545

becca545

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
If the passport is the one you had when you became a permanent resident, it does not matter if it is currently valid or not. This is submitted as an identity document. If this is the primary identity document you are submitting with the PR card application, follow the instructions and "include the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident." That is, in addition to biometric page, which should show the document type and number; issue and expiry date; your name; your photo; and your date of birth. If any of this is not on the biometric page, include copy of pages where it is displayed.

Instructions are here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Caution: not every participant here is trying to help, and as you have encountered some seem intent on obfuscation and mischief. Sorry.
Thank you!

becca545

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017

Just an fyi to anyone with the same question to ignore this clueless clown.

hiteshkumar1986

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
singapore
NOC Code......
Do you know whether anyone has renewed their online Kid PR application?

Would the online form be the same for both adults and children?

Should I make different profiles for my child and adult users, or may they share the same login profile?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you know whether anyone has renewed their online Kid PR application?

Would the online form be the same for both adults and children?

Should I make different profiles for my child and adult users, or may they share the same login profile?
Please STOP! Posting the same question in multiple threads is CRAZY...and rude!

Last edited:

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
A passport still with reasonable expiry date is needed when issue you a new PR card. If your passport's expiry date is, say, 6 months later, I am afraid your application will be withheld for your new passport information.
IRCC not likely links your new PR card with a passport which theorically dies with a very short validity.
I notice this because I found that from the details of the information I get from my IRCC account about my new PR card. I know its issue and expiry date, and the passport number linked to the new PR card. Before I receive the solid card by mail.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A passport still with reasonable expiry date is needed when issue you a new PR card. If your passport's expiry date is, say, 6 months later, I am afraid your application will be withheld for your new passport information.
IRCC not likely links your new PR card with a passport which theorically dies with a very short validity.
I notice this because I found that from the details of the information I get from my IRCC account about my new PR card. I know its issue and expiry date, and the passport number linked to the new PR card. Before I receive the solid card by mail.
A PR can use the expired passport that they had when they landed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.htmlAs IRCC clearly states:

"A photocopy of one of the following:

• your valid passport or travel document or
  • the passport or travel document you had when you became a permanent resident (if applicable, include the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident) or
  • the certificate of identity or travel document issued by the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or a foreign country."

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Apart from stuff-happens-stuff, @Ponga has this right.

Reminder: many PR-refugees not only do not have a currently valid passport, but they would seriously risk loss of their status in Canada if they were to apply for a new or renewed passport from their home country. They absolutely should NOT apply for a new passport in any circumstances, let alone to have in making an application for a new/renewed PR card.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Apart from stuff-happens-stuff, @Ponga has this right.

Reminder: many PR-refugees not only do not have a currently valid passport, but they would seriously risk loss of their status in Canada if they were to apply for a new or renewed passport from their home country. They absolutely should NOT apply for a new passport in any circumstances, let alone to have in making an application for a new/renewed PR card.
For refugee PR, yes, they cannot have a passport renewal. Even they can, they avoid doing so. This is a reason for them to get protection.
Most of them go travel after they got Canadian passports. Their visit back to their motherland is still in question.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For refugee PR, yes, they cannot have a passport renewal. Even they can, they avoid doing so. This is a reason for them to get protection.
Most of them go travel after they got Canadian passports. Their visit back to their motherland is still in question.
There is a very lengthy, in-depth discussion regarding the risk of losing status in Canada that PR-refugees face if they engage in acts constituting grounds for cessation of protected person status, especially reavailment. See "Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship" here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship.333455/

No need to wrestle with that subject here (you might notice I am, well, one might say, acquainted with that subject).

The point, which should be simple enough, is that obviously PRs will be issued new PR cards even if they do not have a currently valid passport. I referenced PR-refugees just as an obvious example.

PR cards are not like visas. They do not depend on and are not appended to the individual's travel document (typically but not always a passport). Again, @Ponga has this right. A PR does not need to renew an expired or soon to expire passport to be eligible for and issued a new/renewed PR card. (Foreign Nationals, in contrast, generally must have a valid passport to be issued a PR visa, with some exceptions.) Remember, the PR card is a "status card" NOT a travel document (even though it is used in conjunction with a valid travel document, typically a passport, to board commercial transportation destined for Canada).

Acknowledging that in individual cases stuff-happens-stuff sometimes happens.