+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about post-graduate ceritificates.

fuzzion

Apr 28, 2014
Hi guys, i know that i'm probably not the first one who's asking this question but i've been searching for ~2hrs and haven't find any solid answer yet. My question is pretty simple and straight-forward:
I have 1yr post-grad certificate from an accredited institution (graduated in August, 2014), didn't apply for PGWP tho. Could i enroll to another 1yr certificate program and then after 2yrs (1 year of post-grad certificate + 1yr of another post-grad certificate) be eligible for 2 years PGWP?

Thank you.

p.s a certificate, not a diploma or a degree.

Jaymin007

Oct 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fuzzion said:
Hi guys, i know that i'm probably not the first one who's asking this question but i've been searching for ~2hrs and haven't find any solid answer yet. My question is pretty simple and straight-forward:
I have 1yr post-grad certificate from an accredited institution (graduated in August, 2014), didn't apply for PGWP tho. Could i enroll to another 1yr certificate program and then after 2yrs (1 year of post-grad certificate + 1yr of another post-grad certificate) be eligible for 2 years PGWP?

Thank you.

You won't get two years work permit. You will get WORK PERMIT FOR only the duration of last PG CERTIFCATE.which is 1 year or 8 months.

You can check on CIC website under eligibility of PGWP
There is diffrent example how anyone can combine their two course and get 2 or 3 years PGWP.

Hope this will helps you...

fuzzion

Apr 28, 2014
Jaymin007 said:
You won't get two years work permit. You will get WORK PERMIT FOR only the duration of last PG CERTIFCATE.which is 1 year or 8 months.

There is diffrent example how anyone can combine their two course and get 2 or 3 years PGWP.

wow that sucks, thank you for replying though. Do i have any other options in this case? Could i take 1yr masters or diploma and then be eligible for 2(3) year work permit?

dufferdexter

Star Member
Nov 1, 2014
Hisar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
soon
IELTS Request
04-2014 academic
fuzzion said:

Thank you.

you can be eligible for 3 year work permit if the time gap between 2*1 year course is not more than 3 months .

fuzzion

Apr 28, 2014
dufferdexter said:
you can be eligible for 3 year work permit if the time gap between 2*1 year course is not more than 3 months .
So, if i've graduated recently (which is MY case, i've graduated in August, 2014), and if i'm planning to take another post-grad certificate (starting from January, 2015) i'll be able to get a 3yr work permit, am i correct?

Jaymin007 said:

Hi again, just checked CIC website, it says

"Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.
"Source: htttp://w_ww.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194A.asp
Is it correct?

Jaymin007

Oct 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fuzzion said:
So, if i've graduated recently (which is MY case, i've graduated in August, 2014), and if i'm planning to take another post-grad certificate (starting from January, 2015) i'll be able to get a 3yr work permit, am i correct?

Hi again, just checked CIC website, it says

"Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.
"Source: htttp://w_ww.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194A.asp
Is it correct!

It's seems okie but my advise will be take advice from one of the Canadian immigration lawyer Afterall this is big decision as it can be spoil your future plan. so make sure you take right decision as 1 year PGWP, won't gives you enough time for PR in any province.

Have you extended your study permit ?

Hope this will help.

fuzzion

Apr 28, 2014
Jaymin007 said:
It's seems okie but my advise will be take advice from one of the Canadian immigration lawyer Afterall this is big decision as it can be spoil your future plan. so make sure you take right decision as 1 year PGWP, won't gives you enough time for PR in any province.

Have you extended your study permit ?

Hope this will help.
Hi,
Thank you for replying. My study permit lasts until May, 2016 (idk why but i've received study permit for 3 years. I've been to Canada several times before and i have 4 Canadian visas in my passport). I will consult with different immigration lawyers to make sure that i'll be eligible to get at least 2yrs work permit then.

p.s. do you guys know if anyone has done two 1yr programs and got PGWP for 2+ years?

dufferdexter

Star Member
Nov 1, 2014
Hisar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
soon
IELTS Request
04-2014 academic
fuzzion said:
Hi,
Thank you for replying. My study permit lasts until May, 2016 (idk why but i've received study permit for 3 years. I've been to Canada several times before and i have 4 Canadian visas in my passport). I will consult with different immigration lawyers to make sure that i'll be eligible to get at least 2yrs work permit then.

p.s. do you guys know if anyone has done two 1yr programs and got PGWP for 2+ years?
last course in August and next course in January .. that's 4-5 months gap between studies.. so u will get only 1 year PR..
Rest one of my close buddy did 2* 1 year post graduate diploma from GBC and got 3 year work permit.

fuzzion

Apr 28, 2014
dufferdexter said:
last course in August and next course in January .. that's 4-5 months gap between studies.. so u will get only 1 year PR..
Rest one of my close buddy did 2* 1 year post graduate diploma from GBC and got 3 year work permit.
and when was he doing this? I mean, what were the dates of the semesters. I enrolled to my post-grad program in January, 2014 (almost 1yr go), done 2 semesters didn't take co-op. So, if i will enroll in January it will be exactly one year from starting my first post-grad. Will it work this way?
"Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study."

mdaako

May 27, 2017
Hello all,

I am sorry for bringing this again but I still confused.
So it's possible to get a PGWP of 2 years If I study 1 year course + 1 year course but with a 4 or 5 months of gap between them? The first course I want to do starts in April 2018 and It ends April 2019 but the second course starts on September 2019. Can I still get a PGWP of 2 years? Also what would be my status during those 4 - 5 months? Do I need to request another specific visa?