+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question About OHIP Eligibility

MarcusErectus

Nov 14, 2019
Hello, my US Citizen wife had landed in Canada in August 2019 while she was pregnant, but due to my child's condition we chose to have the baby in the US where she has insurance coverage, she gave birth on September 2019. Now a year has passed, we're already here in Canada with our child who's turning 1, we moved here a week ago (September 11). Given that my wife was in the US for a year, will she be covered by OHIP immediately when we do apply or does she have to wait for a while? Thank you.

EDIT: My child is a US Citizen and I'm currently processing his PR sponsorship while we're here in Canada. If/when his application gets approved and become a PR, and if the 3 month waiting period had not returned by then, will he have the same immediate coverage (if it's the case) too?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, my US Citizen wife had landed in Canada in August 2019 while she was pregnant, but due to my child's condition we chose to have the baby in the US where she has insurance coverage, she gave birth on September 2019. Now a year has passed, we're already here in Canada with our child who's turning 1, we moved here a week ago (September 11). Given that my wife was in the US for a year, will she be covered by OHIP immediately when we do apply or does she have to wait for a while? Thank you.

EDIT: My child is a US Citizen and I'm currently processing his PR sponsorship while we're here in Canada. If/when his application gets approved and become a PR, and if the 3 month waiting period had not returned by then, will he have the same immediate coverage (if it's the case) too?
Your wife needs to reapply for OHIP even if there is no waiting period. She should have never applied for OHIP since she was not planning on meeting the residency requirement. If she used any OHIP services before she returned to the US without meeting the OHIP residency requirements she could be asked to pay back any of the healthcare she used. She also should have phoned OHIP to tell them that she was going to be out of Canada for a year so the account could be monitored for any fraudulent activity.

Yes your child will have immediate coverage if the 3 month waiting period is waived but it is very hard to predict what will happen in 6-12 months. The 3 month wait period will return.

MarcusErectus

Nov 14, 2019
Your wife needs to reapply for OHIP even if there is no waiting period. She should have never applied for OHIP since she was not planning on meeting the residency requirement. If she used any OHIP services before she returned to the US without meeting the OHIP residency requirements she could be asked to pay back any of the healthcare she used. She also should have phoned OHIP to tell them that she was going to be out of Canada for a year so the account could be monitored for any fraudulent activity.

Yes your child will have immediate coverage if the 3 month waiting period is waived but it is very hard to predict what will happen in 6-12 months. The 3 month wait period will return.
Thanks for replying. My wife never applied for OHIP when she landed August of last year, this would be the first time that she will apply. We have all the required documents except for "Proof of Residency" which I don't understand. I looked up the lists of PoR but she has none of the listed, the only one we have is her PR letter addressed to where we are quarantining now, perhaps opening a bank account would help?

How would a newly landed person without anything set up yet in Canada apply for OHIP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for replying. My wife never applied for OHIP when she landed August of last year, this would be the first time that she will apply. We have all the required documents except for "Proof of Residency" which I don't understand. I looked up the lists of PoR but she has none of the listed, the only one we have is her PR letter addressed to where we are quarantining now, perhaps opening a bank account would help?

How would a newly landed person without anything set up yet in Canada apply for OHIP?
Would wait until you have rented a place if you are in an AirBnB. If you have been out of Canada as well you may also be required to renew your OHIP.

Oct 12, 2020
Nairobi, Kenya
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
VFS office, Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......