+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question about obtain citizenship certificate

tonyx

Dec 26, 2016
hi, i have a question:
if i want canadian citizenship certificate, im born abroad from canadian birth parent (and my birth country allow dual citizenship), my parent need citizenship certificate because she never get it or for proof for me is enought his birth certificate?
my doubts come from what to choose in the document checklist CIT 0014

thanks

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you were born to a Canadian parent, what you need to send is your birth certificate and your Canadian parent's birth certificate (originals or certified copies). Of course, you also need to send copies of your identification.

tonyx

Dec 26, 2016
alphazip said:
If you were born to a Canadian parent, what you need to send is your birth certificate and your Canadian parent's birth certificate (originals or certified copies). Of course, you also need to send copies of your identification.
ok, i read the canadian birth certificate is a proof of citizenship

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tonyx said:
ok, i read the canadian birth certificate is a proof of citizenship
I'm not sure whether you want a citizenship certificate for yourself (born outside Canada to a Canadian parent) or for your parent. If your parent is born in Canada, he/she does not need a citizenship certificate, because a Canadian birth certificate is proof of citizenship. If YOU want a Citizenship certificate, you would send your birth certificate and your parent's birth certificate (originals or copies certified by a notary) along with your application.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
If your parent(s) are born in Canada, their birth certificate is required. You need your birth certificate and it should show your parents name on it.
If your parent(s) were naturalized Canadian then their citizenship certificate is required. You need your birth certificate and it should show your parents name on it.

Then you can apply for citizenship certificate.

The question is, were your parent(s) born outside Canada and acquired citizenship from their Canadian parent?

Here is the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

tonyx

Dec 26, 2016
alphazip said:
I'm not sure whether you want a citizenship certificate for yourself (born outside Canada to a Canadian parent) or for your parent.
for me
The question is, were your parent(s) born outside Canada and acquired citizenship from their Canadian parent?
no, my parent was born in canada, for law i am first generation born abroad
If your parent(s) are born in Canada, their birth certificate is required. You need your birth certificate and it should show your parents name on it.
sure, i have his original birth certificate complete with all data

but i am not sure about how to send that, canadian embassy in rome (im italian) said send documents like birth certificate, identifications documents and photos in a postal mail and that's ok, but the pdf for application on cic site, i need send them with internet OR fill the text on pc, print and physically send them with mail to the embassy along with the rest

sorry for the dumb question but is my first time with this kind of bureaucracy

WPG Daughter

Feb 17, 2017
I am also working on doing this and finding the application instructions are not clear enough. However, I am pretty sure that you save the pdf of the application, fill it out, print it and send it in. There is no way to submit the application electronically. You send your birth certificates, photo id and photographs in the envelope with the printed application and the document checklist. You also need to pay online and print the receipt showing you paid and include that with your application.

Good luck!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tonyx said:
for meno, my parent was born in canada, for law i am first generation born abroadsure, i have his original birth certificate complete with all data

but i am not sure about how to send that, canadian embassy in rome (im italian) said send documents like birth certificate, identifications documents and photos in a postal mail and that's ok, but the pdf for application on cic site, i need send them with internet OR fill the text on pc, print and physically send them with mail to the embassy along with the rest

When applying from the U.S. or Canada, you would apply directly by mail to IRCC in Sydney, NS. When applying from other countries, the procedure is to go through the nearest Canadian embassy/consulate. You cannot apply electronically (over the Internet).

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
tonyx said:
for meno, my parent was born in canada, for law i am first generation born abroadsure, i have his original birth certificate complete with all data

Here are the links:

For citizenship certificate:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/citizenship-citoyennete.aspx?lang=eng

For Canadian Passport:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passport-passeport.aspx?lang=eng

Read the above links carefully and see if it appropriate for you and apply accordingly.

tonyx

Dec 26, 2016
WPG Daughter said:
I am also working on doing this and finding the application instructions are not clear enough. However, I am pretty sure that you save the pdf of the application, fill it out, print it and send it in. There is no way to submit the application electronically. You send your birth certificates, photo id and photographs in the envelope with the printed application and the document checklist. You also need to pay online and print the receipt showing you paid and include that with your application.

Good luck!
yes, i think the same

When applying from other countries, the procedure is to go through the nearest Canadian embassy/consulate. You cannot apply electronically (over the Internet).
ok, thx for confirm
Here are the links:

For citizenship certificate:

link...
For Canadian Passport:

link...

Read the above links carefully and see if it appropriate for you and apply accordingly.
yes i have already see this

thx guys