+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Name on OHIP and SIN Cards

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Hello,

My husband landed last weekend, and today we went to update his SIN and Health Card (OHIP). His Confirmation of Permanent Residency truncated his Given Name by a character from Christopher John to Christopher Joh (no n on the end) as the limit is 15 characters (including spaces). When we went to apply for SIN and OHIP they said they had to use the same name that appeared on the COPR. All of his other documentation is in the full name (passport, birth certificate, work documents etc..) but because OHIP and SIN are updated based on the COPR it is different.

Has anyone else experienced that? I don't know if this will cause him any issues, specifically with work if the SIN card does not have his full name.

Any advice is welcome!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is the same for everyone, and don't worry: fortunately it will not cause any issues. I've been in this situation for a long time now. :)

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
I've been in the same situation as well. For now not a problem but for later it will be a problem especially with the pension.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
I work with the government and I have a problem with the spelling of my name. HR told me if I don't correct to show the same on all the documents I would face a hard time later especially when it comes to my pension. I didn't believe them until I called citizenship to reflect the changes and apparently told me I have to go to the court and do it legally.... Now I'm facing trouble because I have to make the changes on every document and it's a long process.

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Wow, really?! This is now worrying me, too. His first and last name are correct, it's the middle name that is not complete due to the limitation on the PR Card.

Do you know what the legal process is? If the PR card cannot handle more characters, how would we go about updating the SIN and Health Cards?

Thanks for your repsonse.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The space limitation on immigration documents is 15 characters, but their actual system contains the full name. This is not a problem and their official website makes it clear that it is not a problem.

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Hi Karlshammar,

Yes I understand that the PR card and confirmaiton of permanent residency is limited to 15 characters, but I wasn't clear that this would mean the SIN and Heath Card would also have to be set up this way. I thought it would be possible to get these in his full name. Did yours also have the truncated name?

The reason I ask, is that I read on the SIN application form:

"If you are employed, it is important that the name and Social Insurance Number under which you are working are identical to the name and Social Insurance Number that appear on your card. This will ensure that your Canada Pension Plan and/or Quebec Pension Plan contributions are properly credited to you. "

At work they have his full first and middle name. I don't think it would make sense for him to have to use the incomplete middle name just because the PR document cannot accomodate it. But, that is what I wanted to check.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
I don't know what the process is but I've been told the same to change it or otherwise I'll face some difficult when it comes to my pension. I'm not worrying about it now since I have a long way to go before I receive my pension but I am in process of changing it legally. Immigration Canada made the mistake and my citizenship have the same. I advised them and the only option is to do it legally. Nothing else I can do about it.
Good luck!!

vamsi001

Star Member
Jul 11, 2009
I don't know why some people worry themselves unneccessarilly really! To tell you that you need to go to court because your name is not written in full on SIN card, health card and PR card is a misinformation, the person that told you that does not know what he/she is talking about. Where I work, I have seen more than 1000people with their names not in full on their SIN cards, health cards and some even on PR cards (students, PRs and canadians|). The reason I was asking them was because my name and that of my wife was too long so they didn't write our full names in any of our cards. I called CIC and was told 'it is the norm if your name is too long' and was told it is a non issue. I took the name of the person i spoke to. I have only seen few people that have their full names written on their sin cards, Pr cards and health cards. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Hi vamsi001,

Thank you for your message. I think this all came about for us because when applying for both SIN and health cards they said they would record his name that way, not just display it on his card. His full name is not registered, it is the incomplete one. If it was just displayed on the card that way, ok, but the woman when we applied for the SIN card specifically said, I have to record his middle name as Joh (not John) but it won't display on the card. The fact that it's in the system wrong is what worries me.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Numerous people have told you this is not a problem, yet you continue to worry. What do you want from us?

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
I was simply explaing WHY I was concerned. vamsi001 provided some insight that I was resonding to.

In terms of what I expect, what everyone else does on this forum; people to provide insight, if they have any. I don't expect miracles and certainly don't intend to annoy anyone with my questions. I'm sure I'm not the first person to 'harp' on a subjet due to concerns. Personally I have found people very hepful on this forum and continue to read the forum so I may help others, if I can. And I don't think people should be afraid to ask anything.

vamsi001

Star Member
Jul 11, 2009
canbrit, pls and pls, do not worry at all, just make sure your name is correctly spelt on your international passport and on your cancelled PR visa (on your passport). Even if it is spelt as Joh instead of John in the COPR forms, sin cards, PR cards, health cards and whatever, do not worry yourself at all. It is absolutely nothing to worry about.