+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question about marriage license

jonnyk

Jan 12, 2011
me (from canada) and my fiance(from the us) are about to get married and plan to live in canada but we haven't chosen the location of our marriage yet, will it help if we get the marriage license in canada for my fiance PR? or what are the advantages or disavantages compared to canada and us?

thanks

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would choose what is best for you and your wedding, I doubt that the US/CANADA choice location is not going to make much difference to immigration.
Either way you have to produce the marriage cert' and prove that it is a genuine marriage :)

jonnyk

Jan 12, 2011
well its because shes here with me right now visiting me and i was thinking to maybe just go get married at town hall now to start the papers for PR and then still have our wedding in 8-9 months where we would like or is that a bad idea?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How long will you have you been together (in the relationship) at the time you get officially married.

jonnyk

Jan 12, 2011
we have known each other for 2-3 years decided to get in a relationship about 8 months ago and we saw each other 4 times in the past 6 months (this is the 5th time), i went to see her 3 times and she came 2 times.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A Canadian citizen and a US citizen, getting married after 8 months( unless there is some crazy issue) you should be fine to get married and then have the "wedding gathering" later.

It is what my Canadian wife and I are in the process of doing (but I am a Brit).

What are the plans after being married? Both stay in Canada for a while or what?

Has your lady been here for long on this trip?

jonnyk

Jan 12, 2011
well see i feel like i am at a fresh start here, i didnt do anything yet and i have been reading a lot to understand things (im 26yo and shes 23yo), last time she came she couldnt stay for long because of her work and school she only stayed 5 days, when i went i stayed 10 days then 7 then 8 this time shes here for 10 days. we plan to live in canada ontario (where i live now) because i already have a job and stable so she will be able to go to university and such till she finishes. I am just wondering about that and also the inland vs outland thing because i am really tired of not having her here, its so frustrating and i really thinking to just get married now in a town hall then do one in the us for her with church and stuff for her family