+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about luggage and entering canada for first time

jb9419

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hi guys

I bought my wife (who is coming from India) a ticket that has 1 bag checked free, however, we want to check two additional bags.

From my discussion with Air Canada, the two additional bags can be checked in ~24hrs prior, BUT it is not guaranteed... so I have a few questions

1) What is the process for entering Canada? Will my wife have to prepare a lot of things? We have a list of items she is bringing in so far, and also a list of what she plans to bring
2) If the two additional bags are not available at the time and we choose to courier/cargo the goods, do we have to pay any duties? They will be used clothing and shoes.

TerezaB

Star Member
Jul 31, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-07-2019
AOR Received.
20-08-2019
Hi guys

I bought my wife (who is coming from India) a ticket that has 1 bag checked free, however, we want to check two additional bags.

From my discussion with Air Canada, the two additional bags can be checked in ~24hrs prior, BUT it is not guaranteed... so I have a few questions

1) What is the process for entering Canada? Will my wife have to prepare a lot of things? We have a list of items she is bringing in so far, and also a list of what she plans to bring
2) If the two additional bags are not available at the time and we choose to courier/cargo the goods, do we have to pay any duties? They will be used clothing and shoes.

Why wouldn't you be able to check in 2 additional bags though? I have travelled with 3 large bags in the past and it has never been a problem.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi guys

I guess the airline are saying they cant guarantee extra baggage until the day.

You need two lists, two copies of each. One is goods accompanying and the other is goods to follow. List each item (group some, like ladies clothes etc.) And put an estimated CAD dollar value that you might get if you sold them against 3ach item with a total for goods you are taking with you and goods to follow. Make sure CBSA in Canada sign these up on an official form and they will be free of duty.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi guys

They would not say you can't check the bags in at your departure, they might possibly say they might not be able to have it on the same flight as you since it is considered "Excess baggage". If they are not able to get it on your flight then it is their responsibility to deliver it to where you live when it arrives in Canada. Since you don't know if it will be there on the other end just assume it will be and fill out your declaration as if it was going to be. If it isn't just tell the Inspector it didn't arrive on your flight.

Shouldn't be a problem, happens all the time, peoples luggage not making it onto the same flight as they are on.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They would not say you can't check the bags in at your departure, they might possibly say they might not be able to have it on the same flight as you since it is considered "Excess baggage". If they are not able to get it on your flight then it is their responsibility to deliver it to where you live when it arrives in Canada. Since you don't know if it will be there on the other end just assume it will be and fill out your declaration as if it was going to be. If it isn't just tell the Inspector it didn't arrive on your flight.

Shouldn't be a problem, happens all the time, peoples luggage not making it onto the same flight as they are on.
They can refuse excess baggage since you are using the airline as a cargo shipper. Indian flights are notorious for having people bringing their luggage capacity and more. The airlines have to deliver the lost luggage that they accept on the plane. If they refuse to take it in India it stays in India. Would recommend you arrive first to have the best chance of getting your extra luggage on the plane or ship the stuff separately.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If the luggage does not arrive , fill in a A-23 with the airline , you then take that A-23 with you to customs . You declare what’s in those bags and that you are settling for PR.When the luggage does arrive , the airline uses that form you signed with customs to get them thru customs without you being there .
Most of the time bags are just cleared thru and sent out for delivery. On rare occasion the passenger has misrepresented what’s in the bags if they are inspected, then you’re required to come back to the airport, and clear them thru customs yourself
Example, passenger says there was just clothes , but luggage full of gold jewelry. Passenger is requested to come back to the airport and explain the discrepancy.
Keep track what’s in the bags . Saying you don’t know does not cut it

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Never heard of an airline NOT accepting excess luggage. You will be fine. Just logon online to your airline to see flight and check in 48 hours before flight and there should be an option to purchase right there extra bags.

Remember when filling out forms to state "Used" and "Personal Effects" to avoid having to pay duties.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
In some markets where passengers typically check more than the normal, the aircraft has two limits ;
One on how many bags it can hold , aircraft pits do have a capacity
Two ; aircrafts have a maximum weight they can weigh at takeoff set by the manufacturer , it CANNOT exceed this
In the past there have been accidents attributed to this
I used to plan aircraft weights for takeoff
If it exceeds the max , something’s gotta be taken off . That’ll typically be company mail
etc, then if that doesn’t work they start taking off bags
The pilot won’t get his numbers can’t take off until his numbers are good
So yes, there are limits for excess bags
Passengers sometimes try to use them as cargo carriers , that’s Fedex , UPS,DHL job

Last edited: