+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question about IEC visa from UK

jsgreen

Jan 9, 2017
2 questions:

1) If you come to canada on the IEC visa, do you know what the stipulations are regarding how much you have to work whilst in canada. I hope to do quite a bit of travel and less of the working ;)
2) Can my husband be sponsoring me for me becoming a canadian permanent resident whilst I am on this IEC visa.
I'm from the UK and was concerned about these issues above. If anyone could help, that would great! Thanks!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) You don't have to work at all if you don't want to.
2) Yes - that's fine.

jsgreen

Jan 9, 2017
Thank you so much for your help!
If possible, could I explain my situation to you in a little more detail... My fiancé and I are getting married in a couple of weeks time. We are getting married over here in the UK (he is currently living in canada and a permanent resident) and will then go back over to Canada. I just received my invitation to apply yesterday for the working holiday and the cic is suggesting that the process will take 8 weeks. This will not be in time for my going over to canada on February 19th. So my plan is to go over on my tourist visa (actually I have an eTa) to "visit" my husband and then once my IEC visa has been processed and come through, then I will head down to the states to go out of country and reenter Canada at a land port and come back in to canada on my work holiday visa.

Does this sound like a reasonable/feasible plan to you? Going over to canada on my eTa (I've been over to canada on my eTa a number of times last year) and once my IEC visa comes (hopefully), I will leave Canada and then reenter on the IEC visa. When coming over on my eTa, I will have a return ticket to come back to the Uk in June, but am not planning on using it. I just bought the return ticket, so that it will look like I am planning on returning to the UK when I am going through border security cause I heard they will not let a spouse into the country on a eTa without the return ticket.

Sorry for the length of this post, but as you can imagine, my whole life plans are kind of revolving around getting answers to some of these thoughts/questions. Thank you so much in advance for your help with this! :D

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The 8 weeks quoted is simply a target not necessarily reality as people have accepted their ITAs submitted all documents and received their entry letters in days. Some instances getting the paperwork together has taken longer than the approval so advise to get a move on submitting and you may get your IEC entry letter in time. Even pay out for the express (2day) police certificate to save time although expensive.

Regardless which option you take to activate you will still need the 2 years travel insurance and proof of funds to activate the IEC permit for the full 2 years whether arriving by air or at the land border. Although of course on an IEC you dont need a return ticket just the ability to pay for one. If you activate at a land border technically you would not actually need to enter the US but use the 'flagpole' process as described elsewhere on this forum where you get an admin refusal by US CBP and come straight back to the Canadian side to get processed.

As for visiting difficult to guarantee anything as far as CBSA are concerned although arriving with a return ticket, proof of funds and so on helps as does showing your previous stays you have left the country. Arriving with a stack of suitcases though might raise a few flags on intentions and being newly married might as well but with good preparation and honest answers to CBSA you can only do what you can.

Main advice though despite what I and others say on this forum is not to overthink things unecessarily . As said just prepare well , answers any CBSA questions honestly and you should be fine.