+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about how long I can stay as an American

Discussion in 'Visitors' started by miska99, Jul 14, 2019.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I haven't been able to find any answers to my problem and I'd appreciate some advice.

    My boyfriend is going to uni in Canada, and I've just graduated from uni in Europe, where my family and I live. We'd like to move in together in Canada (during the school year only and leave for the summer), but the more I'm looking into visas, the more I'm realizing that I don't have a strong case for any of them. I wouldn't be studying in Canada as I've already graduated, I work online as an English teacher so I don't have a need for a job in Canada. We've also been in a long-distance relationship for the past 2 years, so us qualifying as common-law partners and having me get a visa that way won't work either, as we haven't lived together for a year straight.

    Since it doesn't seem likely that i'll be able to get a visa in time for this next school year, I've decided to stay with my family in Europe for the time being. However, I'd like to spend as much time with him in Canada as possible over this next school year.

    I'd ideally like to go over from sept-dec (and go back home to spend a few weeks with my family for xmas), jan-feb (and go back to Europe for a few weeks for my graduation), and then from the end of feb-april when he finishes school. We won't be in Canada after that until he starts school again in the fall, and by that point I'll have worked out a more permanent solution.

    I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience in a similar situation. I'm not going to be working in Canada as I have an online job, and he has a place there so I won't be renting a place or anything. I'd really just be there to spend time with him. How long Americans are really allowed to stay in Canada? I know it says six months, but is this six months out of one calendar year? So six months out of 2019, six months out of 2020, etc.? Has anyone else had experience with this? Is it likely that I'll run into some issues at the border if I'm coming in for long periods of time?

  2. Still confused whether you are American or from a European country. It is always up to CBSA how long you will be able to stay in Canada. The max would be 6 months. You can ask for an extension after that. In order to work remotely in Canada your employer can’t have any offices in Canada or any clients in Canada.
  3. The only privilege you get as an American passport holder is that you don’t have to apply for an eTA or TRV to visit Canada. But like everyone else, you would be entitled for a potential maximum of 6 months from the date of entry, which you can apply to extend.

Share This Page