Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
My boyfriend and I are common law and plan to get married in the future. But since we aren't engaged yet, and I heard that saying you are can hurt your application. I'm trying to come up with an answer to the question on having a formal commitment ceremony. So far I was going to say "We would want both of our families to be present for such a ceremony, since it would be the coming together of both of our families. Since this has been impossible to do as of late, we have decided to refrain from having such a ceremony."

How does that sound?

veradis

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-11
AOR Received.
08-11-11
File Transfer...
20-11-11
Interview........
23-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-02-2012
LANDED..........
18-08-12
My husband and I just had a civil signing but no wedding or even a party when we got married (though we did get married on Valentine's Day, our one nod to romance). We were going to have a wedding in the summer when my family could all come to Cuba...but I've never really wanted a wedding and by the time the summer rolled around I hadn't planned anything so we just had a week together with our families with no wedding or big party.

Lots of people warned me that since our engagement/marriage was super-casual that it would be a big red flag for CIC. That you need lots of wedding pictures with all your friends and family around to prove the relationship is real. I don't believe that though. I just was very clear that neither of us were into formal ceremonies or traditions in my application. I don't think it really hurt us...though it may have been the reason he had an interview. It's about a 50/50 chance of having an interview in Cuba.

I think it's important to not worry too much about what CIC is expecting or thinking and just make sure that you are very sincere about why your relationship decisions work for you as a couple. In your application ensure you are very clear about why you've made your decision to not get married yet or have any formal commitment yet. I would probably expand on what you said below, but it sounds like it's on the right track.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
That was pretty much our reason for not having a "formal engagement party/celebration", they ask you "if not, why?" for that one too. Our answer, "no family other than one sibling would be in attendance".

veradis

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-11
AOR Received.
08-11-11
File Transfer...
20-11-11
Interview........
23-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-02-2012
LANDED..........
18-08-12
truesmile said:
That was pretty much our reason for not having a "formal engagement party/celebration", they ask you "if not, why?" for that one too. Our answer, "no family other than one sibling would be in attendance".
Yeah that engagement party question threw me for a loop. I didn't even know people did that. I thought maybe it was a cultural thing in other cultures that I'd never heard of. But since I found out about it, I've admittedly seen lots of people with weird 'frolicking through fields' engagement photos and having parties and stuff. I always felt that getting married was just between my husband and me and that all the bells and whistles and frills and expensive everything is cheesy and ostentatious. But I recognize that most women don't think like me ;D

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
Oct 4, 2012 9:00am
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
veradis said:
Yeah that engagement party question threw me for a loop. I didn't even know people did that. I thought maybe it was a cultural thing in other cultures that I'd never heard of. But since I found out about it, I've admittedly seen lots of people with weird 'frolicking through fields' engagement photos and having parties and stuff. I always felt that getting married was just between my husband and me and that all the bells and whistles and frills and expensive everything is cheesy and ostentatious. But I recognize that most women don't think like me ;D
I like weddings but I have to agree "engagement parties" are over the top....we just went out for a nice romantic dinnner the two of us and then joined up with friends later in the evening and that was perfect as far as I was concerned......party NO...private celebration YES

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
veradis said:
Our "engagement party" consisted of me bringing my husband home to meet my mother and then our entire family packing ourselves off to the beach. All the pictures of us taken that day are of us in one state of semi-dress or another with someone covered in sand and sea water. Our wedding attendance was 14 people including ourselves, and the "reception" was a table for 12 at a sushi restaurant following our very traditional wedding ceremony. If all of this sounds somewhat unconventional and off-the-cuff, it's because, to borrow a popular phrase, "that's how we roll". From a reading of our relationship timeline, it is obvious that unconventional, off-the-cuff elements with some nods to tradition thrown in is very much who we are as a couple and it is reflected in how we celebrated our commitment to each other.

I say all of this to say, whatever you do/don't do should reflect who you are as a couple. Don't feel constrained to someone else's idea of traditional or feel you must mimic someone else's application to get it right. What matters is that whatever you do is so obviously "you", there's no question that you're doing it for yourselves and not as a show for Immigration.

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
Thanks everyone, we're not married yet (planning to do so in a few years) but even then I've told my boyfriend that I either want something very small (meaning immediate family and close friends only) or for us to elope. So I think this will work.

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
We just said that we did not have a formal ceremony because everyone knew about our relationship and there was no reason to have a formal ceremony. We did not consider it because in Canada it is not normal to have a formal ceremony to start a common-law relationship. We also added that we went out to dinner to celebrate moving in together (and provided the visa bill for the dinner that night which we put as the day of the start of our common-law relationship.)

JessicaRJ

Feb 18, 2013
Marrying a Cuban

Hi I have seen some posts about marrying Cubans and the process. I am looking for some advice, clarifications and moral support. On a positive note..my good friend who was married in March to a Cuban her husband is arriving today!!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
aerogurl87 said:
My boyfriend and I are common law and plan to get married in the future. But since we aren't engaged yet, and I heard that saying you are can hurt your application. I'm trying to come up with an answer to the question on having a formal commitment ceremony. So far I was going to say "We would want both of our families to be present for such a ceremony, since it would be the coming together of both of our families. Since this has been impossible to do as of late, we have decided to refrain from having such a ceremony."

How does that sound?
We were common-law and stated in our application were also engaged (and showed photo of ring). There were no problems at all for us being engaged.

For the ceremony question, we simply stated in neither of our cultures is an engagement ceremony necessary, all our friends/family knew we were engaged (we showed the facebook entry announcing it), and that was it.

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
Rob_TO said:
We were common-law and stated in our application were also engaged (and showed photo of ring). There were no problems at all for us being engaged.

For the ceremony question, we simply stated in neither of our cultures is an engagement ceremony necessary, all our friends/family knew we were engaged (we showed the facebook entry announcing it), and that was it.
We ended up saying that we didn't feel that having a formal ceremony would be right since it's traditionally reserved for an actual wedding ceremony here. We're engaged now though, and we've decided to just wait to have a wedding after I'm done landing (which hopefully will be soon since I got my PPR already). Thanks though. :)