+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about grandparents visa

Deanlumavi

Dec 10, 2018
Hi,
My parents have a super visa that expires January 24/2021. Their Albanian passports also expire same day as visa. Can they travel to Canada now?
For context, they were in Canada for a year on the super visa 2016/2017 and went back home. Now they are in Norway but would love to come here instead of going back home. Grateful for an advice please. thanks

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Hi,
Yes, they can come. Why wouldn't they? They simply will not be allowed to stay beyond the validity of the visa. My in-laws are in Albania and I prepared a quarantine plan for them. If you want them to come, just make sure they have the quarantine plan, the proof of relationship, your proof of status and maybe download the ArriveCAN app in advance. Cheers.

Deanlumavi

Dec 10, 2018
Thanks Laura. My only worry is the visa and passport being less than 6 months. Isn't that an issue?
Also, when you say "quarantine plan" what exactly do u mean? thanks again

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Hi,
My parents have a super visa that expires January 24/2021. Their Albanian passports also expire same day as visa. Can they travel to Canada now?
For context, they were in Canada for a year on the super visa 2016/2017 and went back home. Now they are in Norway but would love to come here instead of going back home. Grateful for an advice please. thanks
Are they your parents or grandparents?

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Thanks Laura. My only worry is the visa and passport being less than 6 months. Isn't that an issue?
Also, when you say "quarantine plan" what exactly do u mean? thanks again
No, the six months rule is not an issue in Canada. It's now a requirement to have a quarantine plan when you come to Canada. Your parents are exempt so it's not a problem for them to travel to Canada. I asked my in-laws to renew their passport, but in their case, it was to apply for TRV. The only reason I'd suggest to renew their passport is that if they are in Canada and need to extend the stay beyond the validity of the visa, they would need a valid passport to do so. (You never know if there will be another lockdown next winter.)

So to summarize, there is no 6-month rule in Canada like in the US. When your parents travel to Canada, make sure they have everything I mentioned in my previous post. If they are sure they will leave before the expiry of the visa, it's fine they can come directly. Only the closest embassy for passport renewal is in NYC and they can only do it in person as you know.

Reactions: Deanlumavi