+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Goods to follow

risky_poon

Jan 9, 2020
Hi, I'm going to soft land by the end of Feb by flight. By mid of May, I will actually move to Canada. My home stuff will be followed and shipped by June or July.

Per my understanding, i should prepare Goods to follow list for them to stamp. My stuff can be exempted from tax when custom clearance.

In fact, as my wife is Canadian but non-resident. Now she move back to Canada with me. Does anyone know if ( as new PR) and my wife (as returning citizen) each have one chance of tax/duty exemption for shipping household stuff, personal belongings?

Thank you.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hi, I'm going to soft land by the end of Feb by flight. By mid of May, I will actually move to Canada. My home stuff will be followed and shipped by June or July.

Per my understanding, i should prepare Goods to follow list for them to stamp. My stuff can be exempted from tax when custom clearance.

In fact, as my wife is Canadian but non-resident. Now she move back to Canada with me. Does anyone know if ( as new PR) and my wife (as returning citizen) each have one chance of tax/duty exemption for shipping household stuff, personal belongings?

Thank you.
Would you be moving back together? If so, you can present a joint list of goods as a couple. As there is no limit on the amount or value of goods, or any defined time to import the goods post-landing, I'm not sure what the benefit would be for each of you trying to use your exemption individually.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Would you be moving back together? If so, you can present a joint list of goods as a couple. As there is no limit on the amount or value of goods, or any defined time to import the goods post-landing, I'm not sure what the benefit would be for each of you trying to use your exemption individually.
1. Actually there is for returning Canadians a limit. Items over $10K in value are subject to Duty and Taxes.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hi

1. Actually there is for returning Canadians a limit. Items over $10K in value are subject to Duty and Taxes.

That's true, but I meant aggregate value. That's why I said it didn't make sense to split the declaration into two separate ones to be filed by each spouse individually.