+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Goods to follow form.

FMeg

Oct 2, 2018
My spouse is going to continue working on H1B in the US. I plan to move to Canada and settle down and try and get citizenship. We both plan to do the soft landing in the following months. I will continue to stay in Canada after that and she will return to the states. I am aware that a Goods to follow list needs to be prepared during the soft landing.

Is there a time limit on how long you have to move those items?

For the foreseeable future, my spouse will continue to work in the US. Ideally she won't be moving to Canada unless there is some problem with her job in the states. So if we needed to move furniture a few years down the line,would there be a problem?

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
My spouse is going to continue working on H1B in the US. I plan to move to Canada and settle down and try and get citizenship. We both plan to do the soft landing in the following months. I will continue to stay in Canada after that and she will return to the states. I am aware that a Goods to follow list needs to be prepared during the soft landing.

Is there a time limit on how long you have to move those items?

For the foreseeable future, my spouse will continue to work in the US. Ideally she won't be moving to Canada unless there is some problem with her job in the states. So if we needed to move furniture a few years down the line,would there be a problem?
There is no need to prepare a Goods to follow list when you are doing a soft landing. You only need to do one, when you come to Canada to settle. You can submit a goods to follow list for yourself when you move to Canada and your wife can do the same when she move to Canada down the road.

FMeg

Oct 2, 2018
I will be technically settling as I won't be going back to the States. I forgot to mention that I am the primary applicant. I will only be bringing clothes though. Depending on where I can find work, I will move in future. So I am not bringing furniture etc.
My spouse will only move permanently if she loses her job in the states or has Visa issues there (H1B). We are okay with her losing her PR if required. I will do spousal sponsorship down the line if required. By 3.5 - 4 years I will have citizenship.

I have done some research and other threads have said that there is effectively no time limit on the goods to follow and as long as you have it singed off during your first visit by the immigration officer, you can use the same form down the road. Do you have any experience with this?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I will be technically settling as I won't be going back to the States. I forgot to mention that I am the primary applicant. I will only be bringing clothes though. Depending on where I can find work, I will move in future. So I am not bringing furniture etc.
My spouse will only move permanently if she loses her job in the states or has Visa issues there (H1B). We are okay with her losing her PR if required. I will do spousal sponsorship down the line if required. By 3.5 - 4 years I will have citizenship.

I have done some research and other threads have said that there is effectively no time limit on the goods to follow and as long as you have it singed off during your first visit by the immigration officer, you can use the same form down the road. Do you have any experience with this?
Great reading on this here:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

There is no time limit on how long you have to bring the stuff in once your list has been stamped.

Note that you can only bring all of the goods in at once (i.e. you can't bring some stuff on the list on one occasion and the balance on another occasion).

Reactions: FMeg

FMeg

Oct 2, 2018
Great reading on this here:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

There is no time limit on how long you have to bring the stuff in once your list has been stamped.

Note that you can only bring all of the goods in at once (i.e. you can't bring some stuff on the list on one occasion and the balance on another occasion).
Thanks for the tip. But your last statement seems to contradict the article.

"
Time limit on Goods To Follow
  • There is no time limit on importing, free of duties and taxes, items that are on your Goods To Follow list.
  • As long as the items are listed on your Goods To Follow list, you can import them to Canada, free of duties and taxes, years or decades later.
  • You can import the goods into Canada in a single subsequent shipment or in multiple subsequent shipments spread out over time."

It says you can do multiple shipments spread over time.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Oops, sorry, I got that wrong. You CAN do multiple shipments over time. I got mixed up in that you cannot do multiple LISTS over time, you only get one goods to follow list!