+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about funds?

LaylaAmin

Jan 23, 2019
Hi everyone. I hope you all are having a nice day!

I am a Syrian and I hope to study in Canada, however, I have a question about proof of funds. I'm looking for master's degree programs and I found a two-year master's degree at UBC where the fees for the first year are around 44,000 and 29,285 for the second year; payable my 5 installments over those years. (Overall cost over two years: almost $73,000)

In the bank statement (my mother is sponsoring me) I have around 79,000 Canadian dollars to show. Would that amount suffice for the program? Or would they consider it to be lack of funds? I already have the full year's tuition however I don't know if they will be considering it as overall or not.

Please advise me!!! Thank you

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018

I am a Syrian and I hope to study in Canada, however, I have a question about proof of funds. I'm looking for master's degree programs and I found a two-year master's degree at UBC where the fees for the first year are around 44,000 and 29,285 for the second year; payable my 5 installments over those years. (Overall cost over two years: almost $73,000)

In the bank statement (my mother is sponsoring me) I have around 79,000 Canadian dollars to show. Would that amount suffice for the program? Or would they consider it to be lack of funds? I already have the full year's tuition however I don't know if they will be considering it as overall or not.

Do you have the tuition aside from the $79k your mother has?

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto

This would suffice to satisfy the VO that you have enough funds for your education. Beside this, you will have to prove the ties to your home country

1) Family Ties
2) Financial Ties [ Here you might want to show more stuff like Properties, investments, etc.]

bbb_69

Sep 13, 2018
Hello,
Since you're looking at a program with a duration of over a year, the general requirement is that you'll need to show a minimum of the first year tuition fee +10k for living expenses.

In your case, since the total fee for the program is 79k aside from living expenses (which they calculate as 10k per year), the amount in you mother's bank statement should suffice as long as you explain how you'll be funding your total expenses. I recommend that you attach your mother's bank statement in addition to yours (if applicable), along with any other proofs of income both you or your mother posses.

As for proving ties, I would like to further clear up on that subject since my case was very similar to yours. Since you're from Syria, I assume you aren't living there at the moment nor that you can prove any ties to Syria. You can just prove your ties to your family country of residence through the statement of purpose in your application along with all the other topics you have to clear up.
Also, showing that you or your family own property or real estate is useless in most cases. Think of it this way, if you're showing property to the visa officer, you're basically telling them "Hey, here's a property that I have that might be worth xx amount of money. This money is unavailable to me because it's in the form of land. Here's a proof of it for absolutely no comprehensible reason."
If you or your family own a business, however, then that's a different case.

Last edited: