+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about finding work

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'm in the middle of being sponsored by my wife for my PR. I'm just curious, for anyone who has been in a similar position, how did you handle finding work? Was anyone able to look for work pre-COPR, or do you pretty much have to wait until you land before job searching?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Unless you have a work permit, you can't work pre-COPR but there's nothing stopping you from applying for jobs; you'll just have to honestly answer that you are not yet eligible to work in Canada when that question is asked. If you get a chance, you can explain that you will eventually have permission to work, just not yet.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
Yea, thats the thing. How do I time it out to apply for a job without it being months before being able to move up there

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yea, thats the thing. How do I time it out to apply for a job without it being months before being able to move up there
There isn't an easy solution to this problem.

You either have permission to work in Canada or you don't. You can try to find a way to get a work permit or wait.

Reactions: sgp1986

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
My experience may be somewhat dated, but I was sponsored by my wife in late ‘06 and started applying for jobs soon after getting COPR... As I recall, I had one interview before landing during which I explained that I would be landing around X date. I ended up having a second interview with this company/same manager after landing, and was offered a position. All other applications pre-landing resulted in radio silence.

In retrospect, it wasn’t a bad option, certainly better than completely waiting until after landing. I think I could have clarified my eligibility to apply better, more clearly noting that a COPR had been issued and that I intended to land on X date- but even that isn’t great because hiring officials may not be confident to waste time on the unknown.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
My experience may be somewhat dated, but I was sponsored by my wife in late ‘06 and started applying for jobs soon after getting COPR... As I recall, I had one interview before landing during which I explained that I would be landing around X date. I ended up having a second interview with this company/same manager after landing, and was offered a position. All other applications pre-landing resulted in radio silence.

In retrospect, it wasn’t a bad option, certainly better than completely waiting until after landing. I think I could have clarified my eligibility to apply better, more clearly noting that a COPR had been issued and that I intended to land on X date- but even that isn’t great because hiring officials may not be confident to waste time on the unknown.
Ok, thats good to know. thanks for the info!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I will be in your position soon. My PR is under processing and simultaneously I will be sponsored by my Fiance in few months. I have tried applying to jobs and tried explaining the situation. But most haven't responded and few that responded have asked if I have a work permit or a PR. Since I am not desperate, I thought I will wait until my COPR. I used LinkedIn, indeed, and other sources like in the US.
Somewhat depends on what type of jobs you are applying for. Pretty common for many employers to screen out anyone not currently in Canada or who doesn’t have the ability to work in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have been applying for jobs in Market Research and Data Visualization.
That may be tough. Would suggest getting a Canadian phone number under voip and perhaps address. Also really depends on the demand in the market for these days. Not knowledgeable enough about that field.

Reactions: RajKannan