+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about federal skilled worker class

Gdobssor

Feb 28, 2018
Hey
I've been in Canada on an IEC visa which has now sadly expired. I'm looking at ways to stay in Canada.
I've been accepted to do my Master's degree at the U of R in Saskatchewan, and I know I could work on a study permit as well as get a 2 year open work permit after I graduate if I took it up.
I'm also looking at applying for express entry.
I took my IELTS test and my overall score was 8.5. I have a BA degree from New Zealand. I also have an Early childhood education certificate. Early childhood education is listed as an occupation in demand in Saskatchewan and is skill level B.
I have the equivalent of just under a 6 months experience of full time early childhood work.
My question is, I'm looking at getting an accredited TEFL qualification and taking a year's break to teach English in China full time for a year. Teaching is recognized as skill level A, and also, the standard of living in China is such that I'd likely be able to save around 10 to 12 thousand dollars in funds. If I taught ESL full time in China for a year, would this be enough to get an ITA for express entry under the federal skilled worker class? What else would I have to do?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey
I've been in Canada on an IEC visa which has now sadly expired. I'm looking at ways to stay in Canada.
I've been accepted to do my Master's degree at the U of R in Saskatchewan, and I know I could work on a study permit as well as get a 2 year open work permit after I graduate if I took it up.
I'm also looking at applying for express entry.
I took my IELTS test and my overall score was 8.5. I have a BA degree from New Zealand. I also have an Early childhood education certificate. Early childhood education is listed as an occupation in demand in Saskatchewan and is skill level B.
I have the equivalent of just under a 6 months experience of full time early childhood work.
My question is, I'm looking at getting an accredited TEFL qualification and taking a year's break to teach English in China full time for a year. Teaching is recognized as skill level A, and also, the standard of living in China is such that I'd likely be able to save around 10 to 12 thousand dollars in funds. If I taught ESL full time in China for a year, would this be enough to get an ITA for express entry under the federal skilled worker class? What else would I have to do?
You can calculate your potential CRS score and see how competitive it would be after teaching for a year. If it isn't competitive enough then a direct ITA would be unlikely.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Gdobssor

Feb 28, 2018
You can calculate your potential CRS score and see how competitive it would be after teaching for a year. If it isn't competitive enough then a direct ITA would be unlikely.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
So my score came out as 449, but if I could get my French language up to scratch, I could attempt the TEF and probably get a good score in that and get another 50 points, and if I did my master's in Canada, get another 30 points for that as well. Thoughts?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So my score came out as 449, but if I could get my French language up to scratch, I could attempt the TEF and probably get a good score in that and get another 50 points, and if I did my master's in Canada, get another 30 points for that as well. Thoughts?
As of today that score is good enough to get a direct ITA, whether that is going to be the case a year from now I cannot say though.