+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about entry to Canada

mss#687

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010
I have PR file in process.

I am thinking of going to home country after getting PR and come back .

My TRV is expired currently.

When I leave, I will have PR visa and not the PR card .

Will that be a problem or I absolutely need PR card to enter Canada ?

gn53914

Mar 27, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mss#687 said:
I have PR file in process.

I am thinking of going to home country after getting PR and come back .

My TRV is expired currently.

When I leave, I will have PR visa and not the PR card .

Will that be a problem or I absolutely need PR card to enter Canada ?
Shouldn't be a problem! Your are good to go.

arif.jabbar

Feb 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wait... you need to ask CIC call center about this..

before leaving country, if you go border and got entry to canada as PR, you CANNOT leave the country without PR Card, if you leave you need to get some visa sort of thingy to enter canada from the visa office of the country which you are visiting..

but I m not sure if you leave canada without getting PR from border and enter as new immigrant (definitely before the expiry of your PR visa), what happens then, my understanding is one should be ok.. but do confirm from CIC call center..

Thank you.

mss#687

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010
thanks but this is getting confusing ....can someone clarify?

arif.jabbar said:
wait... you need to ask CIC call center about this..

before leaving country, if you go border and got entry to canada as PR, you CANNOT leave the country without PR Card, if you leave you need to get some visa sort of thingy to enter canada from the visa office of the country which you are visiting..

but I m not sure if you leave canada without getting PR from border and enter as new immigrant (definitely before the expiry of your PR visa), what happens then, my understanding is one should be ok.. but do confirm from CIC call center..

Thank you.

jbtoki

Star Member
Aug 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mss#687 said:
thanks but this is getting confusing ....can someone clarify?
As you know, you can’t get PR card without completing landing procedure. So, your passport with “one-time entry PR visa” and Confirmation of Permanent Residence are the most important documentation when you come back Canada to become a permanent resident.

If you have become a PR at somewhere (US/Canada border) before your trip to home then either PR card or Permanent Resident Travel Document is required to re-enter Canada since you will not be permitted to board commercial carrier (airplane, bus, train, etc.) with expired PR visa.

This is my understanding.

Hope this helps.

mss#687

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010
thanks jbtoki....

jbtoki said:
As you know, you can't get PR card without completing landing procedure. So, your passport with “one-time entry PR visa” and Confirmation of Permanent Residence are the most important documentation when you come back Canada to become a permanent resident.

If you have become a PR at somewhere (US/Canada border) before your trip to home then either PR card or Permanent Resident Travel Document is required to re-enter Canada since you will not be permitted to board commercial carrier (airplane, bus, train, etc.) with expired PR visa.

This is my understanding.

Hope this helps.