+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about criminal record

josephcheng1215

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Does the criminal record document need to be sealed? (as in no one opened it before when we got it)

My wife got her criminal record and it's a paper without any envelopes. (like a paper)

What's the specific requirement for a valid criminal record document?

Last edited:

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018
Does the criminal record document need to be sealed? (as in no one opened it before when we got it)

My wife got her criminal record and it's a paper without any envelopes. (like a paper)
She thinks the paper should be sealed as in no one opened it before.

Personally I think she over-reacted on the document, but she always does more research than I do.
So here I am, asking the power of everyone here.

What's the specific requirement for a valid criminal record document?
Well I obtained my police certificate from my country of birth and it looked just like a piece of paper with stamps and signatures on it and I had to get it translated too as it was in my native language...I never heard of police certificate having to come with some kind of envelop because your supposed to scan it and upload it to your mycic account so you'd have to take it out from that envelop anyway (if came that way) I assume. The same as having to get it translated if not in English ...There's no requirements on CIC site on that the police certificate has to come with some kind of envelop at least I didn't see any. The best way would be to check the basic guide and your wife's country specific requirements to make sure that for exactly your wife's country it doesn't say that your spouse's police certificate has to come in some sealed envelop.

Reactions: jordo

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed there is no specific requirements as to how it is delivered to IRCC. That said, when we recieved the request for police certificates from Canada, we actually went and talked to IRCC to clear up some other questions we had and the employee at IRCC (and I hesitate to say they were a VO) said we should send the letter from the RCMP to them in the sealed original envelope.

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018
Yes but if his wife already got her police certificate came without a sealed envelop it means that's the way her country Government authorities issue them and CIC can't be asking for documents that the other countries Government authorities and agencies don't issue....

Reactions: josephcheng1215

josephcheng1215

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Yes but if his wife already got her police certificate came without a sealed envelop it means that's the way her country Government authorities issue them and CIC can't be asking for documents that the other countries Government authorities and agencies don't issue....
Just curious if RCMP was a requirement for your application?
also, how long did it took for their first contact since the day you guys sent out your package?

thank you very much. we sent out our application and now we are worried about what to do next, since we got nothing except preparing police certificate.

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018
No, RCMP wasn't a requirement for our application. We are still waiting for AOR to come because we submitted our app in December.

Reactions: josephcheng1215

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
No argument here......just providing what we were told at the immigration office. I’ve looked and there’s no requirement for sealed envelopes that I’ve seen.

Reactions: Ukrainian girl

josephcheng1215

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
No, RCMP wasn't a requirement for our application. We are still waiting for AOR to come because we submitted our app in December.
Did you stayed in Canada over 6 months as well?
the thing about over-sea RCMP is it costs nearly $250 for a Canada police certificate (which i think is very expensive)

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018
Did you stayed in Canada over 6 months as well?
the thing about over-sea RCMP is it costs nearly $250 for a Canada police certificate (which i think is very expensive)
No, I didn’t, that’s why a Canada police certificate wasn’t a requirement for me.