+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about country specific requirements

smhj777

Nov 8, 2018
Hello everyone, just 2 quick questions! :)

1. I am (Canadian citizen) sponsoring my girlfriend through common-law. She is from South Korea but is currently residing in Canada. When looking under country-specific requirements, we found:

• If the principal applicant holds a passport from this country, they must submit:
    • A copy and certified translation of the “Family Relation Certificate” issued within six months of the date of application.
    • A copy and a certified translation of your “Marriage Relation Certificate”.

Do these "certificates" apply for us? We're not related and we are not married. Unless I'm misreading the requirements, we do not have to submit any of these with our application?

2. I know that for express entry, a medical and criminal check is required (usually if the applicant has been in their home country consecutively for 6 months). Does this apply for sponsorship as well?

Thank you!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone, just 2 quick questions! :)

1. I am (Canadian citizen) sponsoring my girlfriend through common-law. She is from South Korea but is currently residing in Canada. When looking under country-specific requirements, we found:

• If the principal applicant holds a passport from this country, they must submit:
    • A copy and certified translation of the “Family Relation Certificate” issued within six months of the date of application.
    • A copy and a certified translation of your “Marriage Relation Certificate”.

Do these "certificates" apply for us? We're not related and we are not married. Unless I'm misreading the requirements, we do not have to submit any of these with our application?

2. I know that for express entry, a medical and criminal check is required (usually if the applicant has been in their home country consecutively for 6 months). Does this apply for sponsorship as well?

Thank you!!
Hi

1. If I recall correctly, the Family Relation Certificate is like a birth certificate and must be submitted. As you are not married, a letter of explanation in place of the Marriage Relation Certificate should be fine.

2. Very clearly explained in the guide.

smhj777

Nov 8, 2018
Hi

1. If I recall correctly, the Family Relation Certificate is like a birth certificate and must be submitted. As you are not married, a letter of explanation in place of the Marriage Relation Certificate should be fine.

2. Very clearly explained in the guide.
Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry for the stupid question, but are you referring to the stickied guide on this forum? Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12