+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about COPR, SIN, and EI. Please help!

FarmerSamBC

Nov 13, 2020
hey there! so today i got my COPR. idk if they mail it or send a pdf for me to print out and bring to service canada.

i assumed you needed to be a pr to get ei (apparently not the case, really pissed at myself for getting that wrong). so the farm season just ended, and i want to collect ei.

i've never had a SIN in canada despite working for a number of places. but i need a SIN to collect ei. i know pr and work permit holders have different SIN numbers (the latter's starts with a 9)

should i still register for a SIN now, which will start with a 9 and apply for ei (i really need to start collecting the money) or will i be able to quickly get a SIN that doesn't start with 9? because my plan was to get pr, get sin, get ei, in that order. but i think i can get an SIN with 9 at the front, get ei, wait for copr to arrive in mail, become pr and get new SIN, and continue to receive ei with new SIN later. is this correct?

a bit of a mess, but i'm excited about all thats happening. i just dont want to screw up my pr process or ei collection due to lack of proper SIN number.

thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am confused. You don’t have a SIN number but have been working in Canada ? You have T4 slips to show your earnings & deduction? Have you registered with Canada Revenue Agency? Your T4 and CRA will determine the amount of EI you are eligible for?

FarmerSamBC

Nov 13, 2020
I am confused. You don’t have a SIN number but have been working in Canada ? You have T4 slips to show your earnings & deduction? Have you registered with Canada Revenue Agency? Your T4 and CRA will determine the amount of EI you are eligible for?
thats correct. i came to canada for university. worked a pt job during the summer. they used the uci on my permit. never made above taxable income. never filed any taxes. got an post-graduate open work permit. i work as a farmer now, and now my t4 bills are ready for the season. we dont use payworks or something like that in farming, so i just need a SIN and my t4 bills, and bring them to service canada right?

Last edited:

FarmerSamBC

Nov 13, 2020
You apply for your SIN. You need to file your taxes before applying for EI. Then it can be determined how much you are eligible for. EI is taxable income too.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/self-employed-farmers-independent-workers.html#farmer
thanks! though i'm not a self-employed farmer. i'm a fulltime worker on a farm. i imagine most people in november are not filing taxes however. taxes are due by june, correct? so are you sure i can't get a SIN, apply and start receiving ei, and then pay my taxes on this years income as well as rceived ei by june 2021? that sounds like a normal thing to do.

FarmerSamBC

Nov 13, 2020
awesome! yeah thanks. so i can't get a SIN based on having a COPR? I have to just get a SIN as a temporary resident (and i can collect ei as a temporary resident?) until my physical copy of the COPR arrives in the mail?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You can’t apply for EI until you have a SIN so you need to apply as temporary resident. If your T4s show you paid into EI, you will be eligible based on your hours worked and your region’s unemployment rates. I can’t understand how you have T4s without a SIN number.

FarmerSamBC

Nov 13, 2020
You can’t apply for EI until you have a SIN so you need to apply as temporary resident. If your T4s show you paid into EI, you will be eligible based on your hours worked and your region’s unemployment rates. I can’t understand how you have T4s without a SIN number.
Both part time jobs i've worked and my farm only needed my UCI on my PGWP, and I got T4s