+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Continuous Work Experience for FSW Category

sgtch

Feb 9, 2017
Hello Friends,
I have been following this helpful forum for a few months now, as I have been preparing for PR application under FSW. I have a question regarding the work experience requirement for FSW Canada. I have tried to find out about it by going through previous posts, but few things are still not clear. I would be grateful if any experienced senior can help me out.

I am debating between my wife and I being the primary applicant for FSW (we satisfy all other criteria). Both of us are PhDs from USA, and worked as TA and RA respectively. We want to use our TA/RA work experience for FSW, since we can easily get work ex. letters from our departments.

My wife’s work experience:
Worked as a TA/Instructor, from August 15, 2013-July 1, 2015. The work load was 20/hours per week, paid. However, she shifted between being TA and Instructor during this period, though her job description(s) fall under the NOC 4012 category.
Being conservative, I calculated her work duration to be between 1st Sept, 2013- 30 June, 2015, which comes to 96 weeks @ 20 hours/ week paid work ex under NOC 4012.

Question:- Does the above constitute as 1 year of continuous full time (or equivalent in part time) work ex? My confusion is whether all work which is part time (not 30 hours/week) is automatically considered as 15 hours/week or not.

My work experience:
Worked as a RA, from Sept. 1, 2013- April 30, 2015. The work load was 20/hours per week, paid. This was continuous; no shift in job description.
I calculated my work duration to be: 87 weeks @ 20 hours/ week.

Question:
1. Does the above constitute as 1 year of continuous full time (or equivalent in part time) work ex?
2. I only took a few guest lectures while being an RA, with my work mostly falling under the following points in NOC 4012:
• Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
• Compile research results and assist professors in the analysis of results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.
Can this work be actually considered under NOC 4012?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
Use your best judgement to choose NOC codes. There are going to be minor differences in job duties everywhere.

Check the below link and do the math for your part time work and its equivalent full time.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=664&top=29

How much work experience do I need to apply under the Canadian Experience Class?
You must have earned at least one year of full-time skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time) in Canada within the three years before we receive your application for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. Your skilled work experience does not have to be continuous but it must total one year of full-time work altogether.

“Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week. One year of full-time work is at least 1560 hours.

Reactions: lino82

sgtch

Feb 9, 2017
Hi can_indian
Thank you for your reply. I am going apply under FSW, not Canadian experience class. Would you have some further clarification on that? Critically, how does 20 hours/week work translate into 30 hours/week work? Is it simply 1.5 weeks @ 20 hours/week= 1 week @ 30 hours/week?

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
sgtch said:
Hi can_indian
Thank you for your reply. I am going apply under FSW, not Canadian experience class. Would you have some further clarification on that? Critically, how does 20 hours/week work translate into 30 hours/week work? Is it simply 1.5 weeks @ 20 hours/week= 1 week @ 30 hours/week?
Sorry about that, I made a boo-boo.

sgtch

Feb 9, 2017
No problem :). I just want a clarification for the following FSW eligibility criteria (which has been the most confusing of the lot):
From the CIC website:

Calculating work experience for FSW

Work experience can be calculated by:

adding up the number of continuous weeks of full-time (or equivalent in part-time) paid work (i.e., 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in one full-time job, a combined total of at least 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in more than one part-time job,
15 hours per week in one part-time job over a period of two years, etc) in one or more skilled occupations at Skill Type 0 (Managerial occupations), Skill Level A (Professional occupations) or B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of NOC 2011.

So, to meet minimum 1 year work ex, can I use 78 weeks of part time work @ 20 hours/ week as 52 weeks of full time work @ 30 hours/week? Or any work < 30 hours/week will always be considered 15 hours/week and I need 104 weeks of such part time continuous work?

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
After reading a note (Work in excess of 30 hours/37.5 hours of paid work over a period of one week cannot compensate for less than one year of full-time work experience) in an article (click the below link), I assume that Work in excess of 15 hours/week of paid work cannot compensate for less than two years of part time work which is equivalent of one year of full time work experience.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/definitions.asp?letterNum=6

sgtch said:
Worked as a TA/Instructor, from August 15, 2013-July 1, 2015. The work load was 20/hours per week, paid. However, she shifted between being TA and Instructor during this period, though her job description(s) fall under the NOC 4012 category.
Being conservative, I calculated her work duration to be between 1st Sept, 2013- 30 June, 2015, which comes to 96 weeks @ 20 hours/ week paid work ex under NOC 4012.

Question:- Does the above constitute as 1 year of continuous full time (or equivalent in part time) work ex? My confusion is whether all work which is part time (not 30 hours/week) is automatically considered as 15 hours/week or not. I am afraid it may not, based on my above assumption.

My work experience:
Worked as a RA, from Sept. 1, 2013- April 30, 2015. The work load was 20/hours per week, paid. This was continuous; no shift in job description.

Question:
1. Does the above constitute as 1 year of continuous full time (or equivalent in part time) work ex? I am afraid it may not, based on my above assumption.
2. I only took a few guest lectures while being an RA, with my work mostly falling under the following points in NOC 4012:
• Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
• Compile research results and assist professors in the analysis of results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.

Its all based on assumption since they have not posted any exact/detailed information on their website about part time work.
Seek consultancy / find more information about it.

Bull Dog

Feb 27, 2017
sgtch said:
Hello Friends,
I have been following this helpful forum for a few months now, as I have been preparing for PR application under FSW. I have a question regarding the work experience requirement for FSW Canada. I have tried to find out about it by going through previous posts, but few things are still not clear. I would be grateful if any experienced senior can help me out.

I am debating between my wife and I being the primary applicant for FSW (we satisfy all other criteria). Both of us are PhDs from USA, and worked as TA and RA respectively. We want to use our TA/RA work experience for FSW, since we can easily get work ex. letters from our departments.

Question:- Does the above constitute as 1 year of continuous full time (or equivalent in part time) work ex? My confusion is whether all work which is part time (not 30 hours/week) is automatically considered as 15 hours/week or not.

My work experience:

Question:
1. Does the above constitute as 1 year of continuous full time (or equivalent in part time) work ex?

Hi;

I used the NOC code 4012 (Research assistant USA) 2013 July to 2015 May (20h/week). I got ITA on April 5th. I know a lot of people used TA/RA in USA as work experience and received their PR

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
Bull Dog said:
Hi;

I used the NOC code 4012 (Research assistant USA) 2013 July to 2015 May (20h/week). I got ITA on April 5th. I know a lot of people used TA/RA in USA as work experience and received their PR
It was all assumption, I made clear on that. Look at the bright side, at least I kept this post on top and lively enough, so that some one with related experience have come forward.

+1 for Bull Dog

Reactions: DC.CA

sgtch

Feb 9, 2017
Hi Bull Dog,
Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify this: For FSW eligibility (1 year continuous full time or equivalent part time), we can use 1.5 weeks @ 20 hours/week = 1 week @ 30 hours/week? This has been my biggest point of confusion. According to the Canadian website:
Calculating work experience for FSW

Work experience can be calculated by:

adding up the number of continuous weeks of full-time (or equivalent in part-time) paid work (i.e., 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in one full-time job, a combined total of at least 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in more than one part-time job,
15 hours per week in one part-time job over a period of two years, etc) in one or more skilled occupations at Skill Type 0 (Managerial occupations), Skill Level A (Professional occupations) or B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of NOC 2011.

So this is just an example right? It is not that part time work will only be considered at 15 hrs/week?

Prakash17

Dec 23, 2017
Can someone please help regarding my FSW eligibility and my Years of Work Experience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Been in the US since last 7 years

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Masters Degree in Computer Science (3 Years)
-- Teaching Assistant (Paid + 20 hrs/week) for the 6 semesters -- [NOC: 4012]
-- 1st Summer: Research Assistant (Paid + 20 hrs/week) -- [NOC: 4012]
-- 2nd Summer: Summer Internship at a Software Company (Paid + 40 hrs/week)

Question 1) Do I full-fill the minimum FSW Eligibility Criteria of having at least 1 Year of FULL-TIME + PAID + CONTINUOUS Work Experience ?

Question 2)
a) Do I calculate this work experience as #TA Weeks * (20 hrs/week) / (30 hrs/week) = FTE #Weeks of TA Work Exp. ? Do these weeks have to be continuous ?

OR

a) 15 hrs/week * 104 weeks = 1 Year of Full Time TA Work Exp. ? Do these weeks have to be continuous ?

b) In this case, due to Summer Internship during 2nd Summer ==> not having continuous 24 months of TAship ==> Does this make my TA Experience NOT-ELIGIBLE ?

Question 3) Will my Summer Internship during 2nd Summer count towards Work Experience ?

3) Working on Contract Projects in IT

A) Company A: Oct 2013 -- May 2015 .. (OPT + H1B)

-- Oct 2013 - July 2014 ==> Paid
-- Aug 2014 -- Sep 2014 ==> NO PAY .. (transition between project + on OPT-EAD)
-- Sep 2014 - May 2015 ==> Paid

Switch from Company A to B (June & July) -- No Pay:

B) Company B: July 2015 --Jan 2017 .. (H1B)

-- Aug 2015 -- March 2016 ==> Paid
-- April 2016 ==> Not Paid
-- May 2016 -- Feb 2017 ==> Paid

Question) Do I full-fill the minimum FSW Eligibility Criteria of having at least 1 Year of FULL-TIME + PAID + CONTINUOUS Work Experience ?

Question) All over, AM I ELIGIBLE FOR FSW ?
Question) If so, How many Total Years of Work Experience can I get from my Experience ?

Please comment. Thanks ..

HBL777

Apr 13, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can help me calculate my work experience because I'm not sure if I can include the paid internship I did because there is a 3-year gap between the ineternship and the part time work I had after.

Sept 2011-Sept 2012 Full time Paid internship in USA.
Feb 2015-May 2018 20hrs/week Part-Time

I just started my new job which is also 20hrs/week Part time and looking to apply by the end of the year or early 2019. Thank you in advance.

lakshay setia

Jul 24, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I am a software engineer having two years experience in india. I am about to switch company .
Next year I am planning to apply for Canada PR through express entry , once i finish up with 3 years of experience.
Actually my next job is in a different city , so i will have to take a gap for a one or two days.
I was just confused will it cause any problem for PR application in future.
I mean will it be considered as non continuous experience ?
Please answer soon.

Thanks and Regards,
Lakshay.

Nicole_o

Sep 25, 2018
Hi, my question is does Work experience have to be in the same NOC skill type? I want to claim 3 years experience, but I have two years in NOC type A and one year in NOC type B. Will I be able to claim all 3?

vaishnavi

Jun 18, 2016
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
15-06-2018
IELTS Request
07-04-2018
Med's Done....
22-05-2018
Passport Req..
30-07-2018
LANDED..........
13-08-2018
Hi, my question is does Work experience have to be in the same NOC skill type? I want to claim 3 years experience, but I have two years in NOC type A and one year in NOC type B. Will I be able to claim all 3?
Yes you can claim 3 years experience with different NOC.