+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Common-law partner checklist (IMM 5589)

KAS9

Mar 17, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen applying to bring my partner to Canada from the USA. We are applying as a common-law couple, and we do not have any children. I have a question regarding the checklist. For box 7, "PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP TO SPONSOR" it says, "do you and your common-law partner have at least one child together?" I checked "no". Underneath this, it has a paragraph that starts with "if you answered yes, please provide a birth certificate..." and then it says in bold "Also provide:proof of financial dependency, proof that your relationship is recognized by friends/family, etc."

My question is, do I only need to provide proof of financial dependency, and proof of our relationship, etc., if we answered yes to having dependent children? I've been trying to include an image of the part i need help with, because I think that would help explain, but I'm having difficulties doing that. Any input is greatly appreciated! thanks!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
KAS9 said:
My question is, do I only need to provide proof of financial dependency, and proof of our relationship, etc., if we answered yes to having dependent children? I've been trying to include an image of the part i need help with, because I think that would help explain, but I'm having difficulties doing that. Any input is greatly appreciated! thanks!
if you don't have children, why would you answer yes to having children? you need to answer no and submit the other required proofs listed on the checklist.

yes, if a commonlaw couple has a child they are still required to include proof of financial dependency and proof of relationship being recognized by family and friends. this is the entire basis of proving a commonlaw relationship. having a child does not prove commonlaw status.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
KAS9 said:
That section under Also provide the following is not related to the children one. So you must answer the questions around financial dependency/friend family etc and provide suitable proofs (as well as photos mentioned in box right above) in ALL cases, with or without children.