+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question about common-law appilcation

simon25006

Jan 26, 2021
Hi, I and my girlfriend are living together since June 1st, 2019. I know that we need to live together for a full year to become common-law partners. But on May 28th, 2020, I applied for a student permit and I left my marital status as single. is that going to be a problem? Because I know that could cause a misrepresentation problem. I am not so sure. But I have a lease agreement to prove that we started living together on June 1st, 2019.
please share your thoughts guys, thanks!

Reactions: Joeydocs

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi, I and my girlfriend are living together since June 1st, 2019. I know that we need to live together for a full year to become common-law partners. But on May 28th, 2020, I applied for a student permit and I left my marital status as single. is that going to be a problem? Because I know that could cause a misrepresentation problem. I am not so sure. But I have a lease agreement to prove that we started living together on June 1st, 2019.
No that will not be a problem. You will become common law on June 1st 2020. You answered correctly considering you were not common law at the time of the application you made for a study permit.

Reactions: simon25006

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
On the precise dates, no issue - but the coincidence of your claimed date of common law taking effect being one day before you would have qualified as common law may raise questions. Probably no issue but you can see how it may look odd.