+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Common in Law + OWP

oshinz12

Mar 4, 2018
Hi,

I'm just going through all my documents and I think I may of missed one major form.
I have everything for the Common in Law completed. But as for the OWP I noticed that there's a Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409) (PDF, 636.51KB), if applicable. Inside my Common In Law application I saw this:

"If you have any formal documentation supporting your common-law relationship (e.g. a cohabitation agreement, documentation showing you
have registered your common-law relationship, formally entered into a Registered Domestic Partnership, or similar legal arrangement),
please submit this to support your application.
Note: This is not mandatory and your application will still be accepted for processing if you do not submit any formal documentation."

So we read this and figured we did not need anything. What would be the best recommendation as myself and spouse have been together for more then 2 years but we still have a very basic amount of supporting documents.

laineyq

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hi, you can print the imm5409 and have it notarized and attach it with your owp application.

I'm just going through all my documents and I think I may of missed one major form.
I have everything for the Common in Law completed. But as for the OWP I noticed that there's a Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409) (PDF, 636.51KB), if applicable. Inside my Common In Law application I saw this:

"If you have any formal documentation supporting your common-law relationship (e.g. a cohabitation agreement, documentation showing you
have registered your common-law relationship, formally entered into a Registered Domestic Partnership, or similar legal arrangement),
please submit this to support your application.
Note: This is not mandatory and your application will still be accepted for processing if you do not submit any formal documentation."

So we read this and figured we did not need anything. What would be the best recommendation as myself and spouse have been together for more then 2 years but we still have a very basic amount of supporting documents.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
The form is a requirement for the OWP application and optional for the PR application. If you need to do it for the OWP application, you should attach it to your PR application as well (it can't possibly hurt your case).

Reactions: Zoe.C