+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Changing Employers with Current Work Visa Status

Jan 8, 2009
Greetings!

I currently have 36-month work visa that allows me to work in an executive level position for one particular Canadian employer.

In December, I was laid off from my employer due to "shortage of work." I understand that my work permit is still valid thru the 36-month period, but I'm wondering what I need to do to update my status and change employers.

Luckily, I've found a new employer who wants to hire me for a similar position here in Canda. Do I need a positive LMO associated with this new position in order to get a new or updated work permit? What are the steps for pushing this along? The new employer is about to make me a job offer, and they understand my situation. What do I need to do as part of the process? What will the employer do? I'm completely unaware of the process for getting a new LMO and switiching employers...PLEASE HELP.

Any and all information and insights are most appreciated! I'm researched this topic tons and tons, and I haven't found much. Money is also tight, and if possible, I'd like to avoid hiring an immigration attorney. I just need simple help, and i don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

StrategyWizard said:
Greetings!

I currently have 36-month work visa that allows me to work in an executive level position for one particular Canadian employer.

In December, I was laid off from my employer due to "shortage of work." I understand that my work permit is still valid thru the 36-month period, but I'm wondering what I need to do to update my status and change employers.

Luckily, I've found a new employer who wants to hire me for a similar position here in Canda. Do I need a positive LMO associated with this new position in order to get a new or updated work permit? What are the steps for pushing this along? The new employer is about to make me a job offer, and they understand my situation. What do I need to do as part of the process? What will the employer do? I'm completely unaware of the process for getting a new LMO and switiching employers...PLEASE HELP.

Any and all information and insights are most appreciated! I'm researched this topic tons and tons, and I haven't found much. Money is also tight, and if possible, I'd like to avoid hiring an immigration attorney. I just need simple help, and i don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance!
1. The employer has to obtain an LMO for the position and prove to HRSDC that they have met the advertising criteria (new) http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/index.shtml
2. If they get an LMO then you have to apply for a new work permit from Vegreville (You can try at a border point) You CANT start work for the new employer until you have that new work permit.

PMM